Hello, i am just wondering if anyone can help me configure an IRC bot for my channel. I want to run it on ubuntu, i am thinking about using eggdrop but if anyone knows anything better to use please let me know. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello, i am just wondering if anyone can help me configure an IRC bot for my channel. I want to run it on ubuntu, i am thinking about using eggdrop but if anyone knows anything better to use please let me know. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What IRC Network are you going to use? Bot usage is allowed on some networks, and not on others. If bots are allowed they may tell you what bots that they will allow. It has been my experience that you should run the bot from your linux box, and when I was an operator, the admin ran it out of an account in our irc group. He called the account 'assist1' and had it's shell set for csh. That way the bot's config files were running on our server, but were available in its own user account.

Brian

Edited by baker7

it is going to be on the wyldryde and they do allow bots, i am looking for someone to walk me through the installation and configuration because i know very little about linux and i know some programing but not much anyway if you want to help me please let me know i have my own vent server and a channel in irc. thanks a lot, SL0RD

a quick search brought up this page http://www.dennisgdaniels.com/tiki-index.p...nstall%20Config

it looks strait foreword

good luck, I have not use IRC in years, and am supprised that many people use it, unless its to pirate software/image/movies/music like it used to be..

good luck, I have not use IRC in years, and am supprised that many people use it, unless its to pirate software/image/movies/music like it used to be..

BestTechie.net Live Chat is an IRC Channel on the WyldRyde IRC Network. WyldRyde is an excellent network, that is home to a number of security and tech support sites. Such as, BestTechie.net, Geeks To Go, Atribune, Lockergnome, BleepingComputer, 247fixes, and a number of others. It is run by knowledgeable and friendly staff as well, which I can vouch for being that I am a Network Administrator on WyldRyde.

WyldRyde does not allow any illegal activities such as file sharing copyrighted material, p2p, etc. However, despite that the network is continuously growing. It usually averages 600-700 users.

Here is the WyldRyde website:

http://www.wyldryde.org

Should stop by one day and check out #besttechie :)

B

BestTechie.net Live Chat is an IRC Channel on the WyldRyde IRC Network. WyldRyde is an excellent network, that is home to a number of security and tech support sites. Such as, BestTechie.net, Geeks To Go, Atribune, Lockergnome, BleepingComputer, 247fixes, and a number of others. It is run by knowledgeable and friendly staff as well, which I can vouch for being that I am a Network Administrator on WyldRyde.

WyldRyde does not allow any illegal activities such as file sharing copyrighted material, p2p, etc. However, despite that the network is continuously growing. It usually averages 600-700 users.

B

WyldRyde is a good place to hang out, and I agree with Jeff on this one - the staff are very knowledgeable, and friendly and I have had a great time while there. I usually hang on #besttechie and #geekstogo and other channels, as baker7 ;)

I have about 13 years experience as an Operator myself on my home server at Tallahaseee Freenet - We also didn't allow filesharing or illegal activities and I know that we used to ban people for this offense. Since TFN irc went down, I have been using forums alot more, but recently, we have been bringing TFN back up after a server move. I have the highest respect for everyone that makes WyldRyde operate, and sometimes I wish I could support the cause, but money is tight - they provide a place that reminds me of my old home - and I am glad to be a member of wyldryde, and the offices are right up the road from me (45 minutes or so away) in Burlington VT ;> That was a shock when I saw that hehehe :)

WyldRyde is my new irc home, because of the people that make it what it is :)

Good Luck!!

Brian

sorry Jeff,

should have qualified my response. I know you guys help out through an IRC channel,

if was kind of a joke, IRC is old I mean old, I remember by BBS (used to run a renegade setup, the good old days) connecting people to IRC channels. it just amazes me that it is still around, also I just switched to verizon for DSL and they have news servers.. wow now I feel really old..

(NOTE: for those who do not know, a news server is not a place that post the "News" but allows posting messages using a news client. sites like this have mostly taken place of news servers.. but they are still around.. )

I did not mean to suggest that all IRC is for illegal purposes, but that is a major use of the non help sites.

I would help out on the IRC, but that means to help in real time, and I need more time to watch what I write to people :)

B

sorry Jeff,

should have qualified my response. I know you guys help out through an IRC channel,

if was kind of a joke, IRC is old I mean old, I remember by BBS (used to run a renegade setup, the good old days) connecting people to IRC channels. it just amazes me that it is still around, also I just switched to verizon for DSL and they have news servers.. wow now I feel really old..

It's cool, no worries. I figured you weren't referring to WyldRyde, just thought I'd point it out though - we're always looking for new chatters. :)

B