Just recently I can't get my computer to start up. I have Windows XP. The screen will go black and a little box in the upper left-hand corner will say analog/digital and then disappears and the only way you can get it to do something is to unplug it otherwise nothing ever happens. Even after I turn it back on it will sometimes do the same thing. If I am lucky to get the desktop and go into internet explorer it will all of a sudden go black.

I know the poster is unclear, but I'ma thinking it's more than a grafix card issue. Any ideas?

Does the whole screen go black?

Have they tries reseating the monitor cable to the PC. Can they try another monitor?

Is XP not booting up all the way. Is the screen going blank and the computer still showing signs of life? (is the hard drive light flickering).

If the computer is running OK. Then I would look at the monitor connection.

But one can never overlook updating drivers.

Intermittent booting like that in my experience is usually a bad mother board. "Unplugging it and leaving it sit will give it temporarily life" is a common symptom to back up the bad motherboard diagnosis. With that said, I am pretty certain I have declared motherboards bad, when in actuality it was something else.

I based my whole diagnosis on the fact I assumed it was not properly booting(maybe that is wrong). As JSKY mentioned, when it goes black, does it seem to be running properly? One way of checking would be pressing the power button once. If Windows is running correctly, the default action is to shut down properly.

sounds like the monitor is not compatible with Windows power saving, and is not waking up. I have one that does it on XP but not on the Mac for some reason.

If I am misreading this, and he(?) never sees the screen after booting, I would say its misdetecting the monitor. XP does this on my Arcade monitor and I had to hard set the settings using VNC.