How Is Your Isp?

We all know about the tyrannous ISP Comcast,( Comcrap) but I know tons of people who are fine with their ISP. So, what do you think of your ISP? In all aspects,( customer service, price, speed, packages E.T.C) how would you rate your ISP? I know that my ISP, Optimum online( owned by Cablevision) is quite good. In fact, I think one of the most up to date in the nation.

It sucks.... A LOT.

CPWS (Columbia Power and Water Systems) a local provider. They suck. Plain and simple. I miss Charter believe it or not. I've always heard good about Comcast around hear but yet it's not available in our particular area.

Mine is quite good. PrairieWave is a new provider and has the first fiber-optic lines in the area. Fiber-optic is run right to my house.

It's only four years old and gives me a 1Mbps standard unlimited connection. They also have a dedicated 1.5Mbps, and the "Games Edge" connection you can get, with a 1Mbps upload speed.

I have been using Alltel, now Windstream, for many years. I started with dial-up many moons ago and switched to their DSL package when first offered. In all those years my connection was down only two times for switch problems which were resolved in 24 hours. Their desk support has been overall very good. A couple of times I connected with a couple of script readers who must of been newbies that irritated me. I pay $29.95 a month for 3Mb/384Kb service. I am very satisfied.

The only other broadband option around here is Time Warner's Road Runner which is quite expensive and undependable. Many of my friends have been sucked in by the low intital cost and then found themselves to being charged over $60 a month. My neighbor who has RR and works from home using his PC usually has TW's repair service appear monthly to fix the constant issues.

My original ISP was Adelphia, which I liked, even though the CEO was raping the company. The government gave us to Time Warner. I have had no issues, but it sure would be nice to have some broadband competitors.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Australia is mostly desert and isolated bushland, but considering that, is has good coverage. (Almost complete I believe).

The major internet player Is Telstra's 'Bigpond'. Expensive, but the service is good.

I pay $99.95 monthly for over 30Mbps/1000kbps cable and other extras like online storage. They also sell music like at iTunes (which is billed to my statement), domain names (highly over priced), and server space.

207331062.png

(Not my closest server.)

Edited by sarahw

Forgot to mention

My speeds are supposed to 3Mpbs down, 384Kbps or something up but it is so damn inconsistent. Plus their service sucks too. I tried calling them a few days ago to get them to come fix something 3 times, not once did anyone answer the damn phone.

Expanded Basic cable for all TV's + digital receiver for digital channels for one TV + inconsistent 3Mbps cable internet = $95 monthly.

I hate my ISP with a passion. Of course we have Bellsouth/AT&T DSL but guess what? They don't offer it in our area We are just barely outside their service area. Seriously, a few houses down can get it but we can't. Plus after helping a friend recently setting up his DSL, I sure as hell don't want it now. In fact, it still doesn't work after helping him set it up. Service with them was bad too. We can't get decent broadband ISP's here for nothing.

Edited by Honda_Boy
... after helping a friend recently setting up his DSL, I sure as hell don't want it now. In fact, it still doesn't work after helping him set it up. ...

Huh. I don't remember having to DO anything other than connect the DSL modem and run the software. All the settings and connections were changed automatically.

nothing against Indians. My economics teacher was an Indian and he was one of my favorite teachers. Funny as heck. He had an accent but it was understandable. This guy on the phone was harder than crap to understand.

Also, my friend got his DSL going. There was a screw up on the install of the phone line in his house. A tech came out and fixed it.

Earthlink dial-up... nuff said? Good for dial-up I suppose. Downloading an Open Office update (~100 MB) only takes me about 10 hours or so.

Although I live in California, I'm still too far in the "sticks" to get anything other than satellite (which I refuse). 6-miles to the north and south of us is as close as the fibre gets (Georgetown and Placerville) up here in the Gold Country. Heard tell that AT&T may get out to us by the end of the year... but I'm very doubtful.

Earthlink dial-up... nuff said? Good for dial-up I suppose. Downloading an Open Office update (~100 MB) only takes me about 10 hours or so.

Although I live in California, I'm still too far in the "sticks" to get anything other than satellite (which I refuse). 6-miles to the north and south of us is as close as the fibre gets (Georgetown and Placerville) up here in the Gold Country. Heard tell that AT&T may get out to us by the end of the year... but I'm very doubtful.

I fully understand. I also have dial-up, too far out to get anything else, except promises. The latest was maybe wireless, but no towers, so County has approve where they go etc . Satellite, too expensive, and have not heard good things about it anyway.

When I have a big D/L to make, I do it at work (T1) and transfer it to USB Flash Drive, similiar to this one at Crucial. You can buy them anywhere. Find someone that has HI Speed Internet and see if you can use it. The one I have is only 256 MB. I don't use it for storage, only to D/L, than I delete from Flash Drive.

Crucial

Barb

When I have a big D/L to make, I do it at work (T1) and transfer it to USB Flash Drive... Find someone that has HI Speed Internet and see if you can use it.

Crucial

Barb

Good idea. I already use Flash Drives for helping others (portable aps and such) and backups. Maybe I could wangle a trade for bandwidth... the next Open Office ( v. 2.4 ) upgrade is in a week or so.