M$ is shooting for February 15th as a release date for the Service Packs.

I won't go into the Service Pack details.

XP SP3 will like in the past install only what is needed from WU (windows update). So depending on your system configuration, will determine the download size. Also XP3 will no longer re-ask for product activation. As long as XP is activated.

The complete XP SP3 Stand Alone Client will have all previous updates included. (SP1, SP2)

Which will be great for the shop owners/repair techies. So if you have the original XP (non sp1 or sp2). You will have everything you need on one disk. YAY!!!

SP1 for Vista refines Vista for better performance, decreased boot/shutdown times. And fixes a load of bugs. And added a whole mess of updated driver support.

So if your running XP or Vista. I highly suggest getting the Service Pack installed on your favorite machine.

Looks like Feb. 27th for Vista SP1 to be fully released. Mark your calender.

Remember, if you have the Beta installed. You will have to uninstall it first. And it takes almost as long to uninstall as it does to install it.

But, after you uninstall the beta and before you install the full release. Reboot your computer. (this is a definite)

You will then have to re-install any Windows Updates that came out after the beta was installed. (Reboot if required).

Then run disk cleanup and/or ccleaner. Defrag your hard drive. Shut down System Restore, (to clean it out). Reboot your computer again and then re-enable System Restore. Then create a new restore point.

Now go ahead and install the Service Pack for Vista. Yes.... More rebooting.

After installing SP1. reboot your computer one more time to work everything in. Then do a disk cleanup and/or run ccleaner. Defrag your hard drive again. Then one more reboot.

I know, I know... seems like a lot of reboots. But hey... You need to get your system cleaned up good and ready for the final product. And then merge the two together gracefully.

Same goes for XP SP3