Lavasoft Turning To The Dark Side?

If im reading that ramble correctly, he's hinting at Lava Soft adding spyware?

He: "Leaked Out News"? Why? If he has proof, then come right out. When someone "Leaks" something that means they dont know anymore than what they "leak". :lol:

Anything hurting LavaSoft can only help him... ;)

Edited by Bubba Bob

Well....

lavasoftsupport.com

dslreports.com

billpstudios

I have known Corrine for a number of years. She runs her own tech related website, Is a M$ MVP, member of ASAP, Is highly qualified at HJT. And has spent allot of time in the past working and helping at Lavasoft. She Moderates and Admins at numerous tech sites.

I'm kinda apt to listen to what's going on.

And Michael Helander, Vice President of Marketing for Lavasoft doesn't really deny the fact. As per the first link.

Ahh, Bill made it much clearer (3rd link, good read)

Now, If im fully comprehending, the founder of WinPatrol is denouncing those sneaky little devils that include crap with their program. I agree. Sticking "MySeachBar" is wrong. But saying LavaSoft is "turning to the dark side" for including the Ask tool bar is a bit over the top. (According to Ask.com* their toolbar is Spy&Adware free)

* http://dl.ask.com/toolbar/faq.html#na6

Edited by Bubba Bob

If they make it so you're asked if you want to install it or not I could live with that.

But if it's a "forced to" install thing. That is where the difference will come from. I guess well just take a wait and see approach. But it does give one something to keep their eyes on.

Strange.

I got the following warning in Opera when trying to go to billpstudios.

Fraud Warning

The page you are trying to open has been blacklisted as fraudulent. It will likely attempt to trick you into sharing personal or financial information. We strongly discourage visiting this page. Learn more about Opera's fraud protection.

From what I read LS is talking to Ask about changing their toolbar before making any kind of deal. They also state that if they do partner with Ask the toolbar will be Opt-In. As I see it if they can get Ask to go with a clean toolbar, then it could benefit not just LS and Ask, but all Internet users.

I trust LS and see no reason for them not to end up with a acceptable deal that could infuse money into the fight against malware.

• 2 months later...

Aw man, I was just starting to like it again now that they got rid of the new version bugs.

What freeware would you guys recommend to replace it?

@ Whiskey - McAfee site advisor gives it a green, no significant problems found.

Edited by tjet
Aw man, I was just starting to like it again now that they got rid of the new version bugs.

What freeware would you guys recommend to replace it?

@ Whiskey - McAfee site advisor gives it a green, no significant problems found.

I'm sticking with AdAware.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've saying for a year, AdAware is a has been, hard for me to understand why it's used at all.

Back in the old days when only SpyBot was around, had some value ?

Now with Spyware Doctors free starter edition and my paid version for real time protection, Spy Sweeper.

My scans may show 2 or 4 simple tracking cookies.

Your choice why free is free ?.

It may not have been the Ad Aware but just an event that happened when I gave permission for the port to be open.

I installed software so I can trade with my cell phone via bluetooth and then got a MS patch for bluetooth network exploits.

Haven't had any more pop ups since the patch.