How's Your Weather?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOT! 108 F

Kinda early for that, isn't it? Gonna be a hot one!

Warm here, a brief respite from the rain but more's due tomorrow and the next. Everyone near the river has adopted a wait-and-see attitude. Still, not as bad as Cedar Rapids and vicinity. We're a couple feet at most above flood level. That's bad, but for the past several years they've been replacing old factories with public spaces along the river so there's little personal property damage so far.

The last couple of days have been in the mid 80s and humid with a few showers mixed in with sunny periods. They are still cleaning up the damage further north from that storm that blew through a few days ago. A group of people were cruising home on their motorcycles from one of the local beaches when the storm hit. The wind shear picked up one bike and blew the rider into a field.

Hot, it was 97 an hour ago and is supposed to hit 100 by 4PM.

Looks like it will be a hot dry summer in Texas this year.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/expert_as...al_drought.html

Looks like they were pretty close on the prediction that North Dakota and Iowa would see an improvement on drought conditions.

sdohomeweb.gif

But it looks like they predict "normal" temps for Texas this summer

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictio...onal.php?lead=2

Edited by Pete_C
  • 3 weeks later...

A severe storm passed quickly through yesterday evening, the hail was coming down nearly sideways. The sound of it hitting the back of the house had me worried the windows wouldn't hold up. I'd never heard it that loud before. And that was with just pea-sized hail, if it had been larger size hail ... :unsure:

The local news had video of a home in my town that had one entire side that looked like it had been through a war; broken glass, paint ripped off the clapboards like it'd been hit with a shotgun. If I find a pic I'll post it, it was unbelievable.

For the last two weeks every day is the same, 7am 60° clear, Noon 80° breezy, 5pm 90° hazy and humid, 8pm thunder showers.

Right now 3:15 86° and getting real humid.

For here in Northern Saskatchewan......26°C / 79°F. Has been hot pretty much since the middle of June with not much for rain. A few forest fires farther yet North where they had to evacuate some small communities until the Forest Fire people try to do their best a to control it.

It took a while for them to get started, but I think we already have more 100 degree plus days this year than all of last and more above ninety too. So much for global cooling.

And it is dry out, instead of the heat index being higher than the actual temp , it is lower.

Current temp 98 degrees at 6:30PM

Looks like more of the same for the next week

.... So much for global cooling. ...

Guess we're getting it here then: this is the coolest 4th of July weekend in decades. Tonight's supposed to be a repeat of last night, in the low 50's. Brr! July! :blink:

But then, I don't like hot weather, so I'm grinnin' from ear to ear. :D

.... So much for global cooling. ...

Guess we're getting it here then: this is the coolest 4th of July weekend in decades. Tonight's supposed to be a repeat of last night, in the low 50's. Brr! July! :blink:

But then, I don't like hot weather, so I'm grinnin' from ear to ear. :D

It's hotter than hell here. 112 today. My electric meter looks like a top it's spinning so fast. :matrix:

... My electric meter looks like a top it's spinning so fast. :matrix:

Do you do anything in particular to minimize your AC bill?

I adjust the blinds on the East side of the house to keep the Sun's rays out, adjusting them as the Sun rises 'till they're fully open ~noon. I have several rooms that are either unused, used very little, or are on the lower level (of three), so I only have the HVAC vents slightly cracked open in those rooms. I had tried closing them off but the AC wouldn't run long enough to dehumidify the air in the remaining rooms. And I keep the blinds on the West side closed in the afternoon.

My house apparently has two flaws in the design, one of them is it acts like a Solar furnace, absorbing and retaining heat throughout the day. The air runs long after the Sun has set just to pump out all that residual heat. If I turn off the air at night I can feel that residual heat radiating into the house. I tried opening windows when the outside temps go down, but that just lets in the humidity in, which causes the need to run the air to earlier, and longer, the next day.

As it is, I can keep the inside temp at 77 degrees and feel perfectly comfortable. Any higher and I'm a bit too warm, any lower and, while it's not exactly chilly, I feel I'm wasting energy.

100 Degrees today, and the prediction is that it will gradually rise over the next week to ten days with no rain or cooling in site just now.

At least it is dry now; so dry in fact that I can get my sunglasses icy cold by blowing the air conditioner on my truck straight on my face (and it blows snowballs even in this heat) and they do not fog over when I get out of the truck and into the blast furnace. Have to remember to keep drinking water during the day, and I still wind up dehydrated by the time I get home.

We lost a horse today, my wife's prized Arabian stud... maybe heat/smoke/ozone related... dunno. Kind'a ironic that our donkey passed away in one of our worst cold snaps the winter of 2006/2007.

Air is still unhealthy to breathe for all health groups. Ozone is kicking up a notch or two or three to add to the smokey air.

The other day a bit to the north (Auburn/Colfax) they had an air alert that was a notch above 'unhealthy for all health groups'. They never did explain what that was (deadly for those with breathing difficulties ???). Been a run on by people going to the doctor for breathing related difficulties... but none, thankfully, by my little family. My wife and I both have asthma (grandson too, and mother-in-law has emphasema). I'm the least affected of the bunch.

Humidity is up and we're in for a heat spell for a bit. Expect over 100º Fahrenheit today, tomorrow/and the next... I just hope that the extra humidity doesn't translate into more dry-lightning storms in the Sierra's nor our Sierra foothills (nor anywhere actually). We dodged a forecasted dry-lightning storm 'bout a week ago or so... didn't miss it in the least!

Otherwise as far as fire dangers in my area go, we should just only have to worry 'bout the dingalings with their left-over fireworks, campers, people using anything that might produce a spark (like lawn mowers and other metal on rock possible tools), shooters (bullets on rocks can catch a spark to fly), and pyros and such.

The wife and I are making due with a good floor fan to circulate the air indoors and keeping well hydrated... staying indoors as much as possible, though it's hotter indoors than out in our mobile home once noon rolls by. If it gets unbearable we'll go to our daughter's place or the in-law's place (they both have air cooling). All three homes sit on 21 acres up here, so's all close by and such.

Getting all my 'puting done early today in case the state's electrical grid goes hooey... in-laws have a generator just in case we need to get the cooling going again.

92F and humid in the house. Outside is brutal. The heat has been wiping me out at work. I have been cleaning out a house that was condemned, in preparation of demolition, the last two days. The previous residents never put out their trash for over a year. The refrigerator and freezer was full of rotting food. Everything inside is covered with mold. I had a 20 yard dumpster delivered today just to get rid of the trash, furniture and appliances. I hope it is big enough.

I am staying on the computer long enough to check out all of my favorite sites then shutting down to reduce the heat in here.

92F and humid in the house. Outside is brutal. The heat has been wiping me out at work. I have been cleaning out a house that was condemned, in preparation of demolition, the last two days. The previous residents never put out their trash for over a year. The refrigerator and freezer was full of rotting food. Everything inside is covered with mold. I had a 20 yard dumpster delivered today just to get rid of the trash, furniture and appliances. I hope it is big enough.

I am staying on the computer long enough to check out all of my favorite sites then shutting down to reduce the heat in here.

Yeah, when I lived up in New England as a kid we did not have Air Conditioners; we used to stay out as late as possible and then go for drives on back roads with the windows rolled down to cool off , just searching for the cool breeze through the piney woods or up a stream bed.

Here in Texas, AC is a must have; even the dogs hate to have to go out during the heat of the day.

Good thing about New England if you don't like the weather wait a minute it'll change.

They say that in Texas sometimes; but not in the summer. Generally speaking once the Central Texas High pressure dome forms it pushes all fronts off and away , those comming down from the north get swept off to the east and those comming up from the southwest get pushed north and those comming from the gulf get held down there.

We did get a pop up shower yesterday evening; I even heard thunder in the distance but it was barely enough to wet the dust.

Today looks like 101 with a heat index of 104.