How's Your Weather?

The moisture track was coming up from Mexico and the front was coming in from West Texas.

It is common here when those areas are dry to have dust from them (or smoke from fires in Mexico and Central America) blown as far as Dallas..

Here the pollen was so bad that when I first went out on Monday morning my normally red truck was yellow. But the rain cleared up that issue fast.

I think that the official radar total for our area was about 6.24 inches.

But things have drained off. Yesterday there were still standing puddles where storm drain inlets in streets were clogged (had fun calling the city and reporting the ones I had encountered) and there was still a lot of runnoff from back yards into alleys and down the gutters but it is all drained off now.

I scattered some fresh grass seed in bare patches and then spread a bale of hay over it to prevent the dogs from getting all muddy. Of course, the shepherd had to dig a hole to make a mess, but then she washed her paws in a puddle.

The trees are all greening up. The Arizona Ash , Pears, and Plums were all flowering last week and are now fully leafed out. The Oaks and maples had been budding out and are now sporting fresh green leaves. The Mulberries are sporting catkins and will soon have leaves too. St Augustine grass is greening up and growing and the Fescue and Rye are going crazy (looks like it may be a two mowings a week spring this year).

Surprisingly none of the news coverage has mentioned lake levels, which probably means that they are neither low , nor high (no picnic areas under water or closures for Easter Weekend nor any lakes so low that they are not allowing boating).

Speaking of Easter, got a turkey which will hopefully be eaten.

The younger boy and his roommate have purchased a house together (his son , her two daughters full family) since the three bedroom apartment is getting cramped. They are moving this weekend so they will hopefully appreciate taking a break and not having to worry about cooking dinner.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Such a normal spring day. 30 m.p.h. winds with snow flakes screaming by. Looking for lows in the teens for a couple of days. The crew wants to go ice fishing tomorrow. Perch and Walleyes are biting quite well plus they have been nabbing a few spring Bullheads. Sounds like a fish fry this weekend.

Such a normal spring day. 30 m.p.h. winds with snow flakes screaming by. Looking for lows in the teens for a couple of days. The crew wants to go ice fishing tomorrow. Perch and Walleyes are biting quite well plus they have been nabbing a few spring Bullheads. Sounds like a fish fry this weekend.

I remember the first time I saw a bullhead (My Grandmothers lake cabin in western Mass); I thought it was some sort of giant mutant tadpole and wondered how big the frog it would inevitably turn into would be. I had visions of some giant three foot frog weighing in at several hundred pounds and wondered if there were any in the lake and what they ate.

I noticed that on surfaces where the last batch of rain settled and dried (like dumpster lids) there is an odd reddish brown dust which looks and feels more like soil than pollen. Odd but not unheard of. Glad it got washed out of the air. Probably from the Sahara or Africa or some distant land blown clean across the ocean before it encountered a storm system powerful enough to flush it out of the upper atmosphere.

Mmmm, bullheads are good eat'in. Extra good coming out of nice cold water. *drools... Don't know how you cook your fish, but my neighbor gave us a great breading receipe. Dip your fish in an egg wash and roll in crumbled up Chez-it and Ritz crackers. (I always add a bit of garlic powder) Dang it's good!

My Sweet Brit dragged his sorry behind out of bed at 10:34 this morning. Asking "Where's all the snow we're supposed to be getting?" 10 minutes later it started and hasn't stopped. He just measured 7" and it's still coming down. Yep! That's 1" an hour... Weatherguessers say it will keep up until the early hours. So much for March going out like a lamb.

All I use to coat bullheads is buttermilk pancake batter mixed with beer. Heat up the oil in my large iron skillet and drop them in until the coating gets crispy. I do the same with frog legs.

85 and sunny today. Rain predicted for the weekend.

They had fresh sweet corn on the cob six ears for a dollar so I bought a dozen and am going to grill em in the husk so they get that nice roasted smokey flavor.

They also have surimi (imitation crabmeat) on for 99cents a pound so I think I will make a roasted corn, artichoke heart, and crab salad with sourcream and dill ;and maybe some shaved fennel.

Served on toasted french bread.

Edited by Pete_C

Crazy weather, snow yesterday and 70 degrees, humid and foggy today. Mother nature must be playing some kind of april fools joke.

The tops going down on the miata first sunny day even if it's freezing out.

It's now officially pothole season.

2354468173_729f2470c1.jpg

Pot holes...

A State Police dispatcher was fielding "white out" calls during a snow storm, when a call came in reporting a black out. When questioned, the guy said he drove into a pot hole and didn't come out for three minutes...

... A State Police dispatcher was fielding "white out" calls during a snow storm ...

Don't know why but that reminded me of something that, now, makes me laugh. Before I could drive I worked at a mall. My big sister also worked there and drove us to and from work. One day we're driving home in the rain and, suddenly, there was the worst downpour I have EVER experienced. You could not see beyond the windshield -- At. All. We were going about 45 mph and were approaching the busiest intersection of the drive. We couldn't see how close we were to the intersection, whether or not there was any traffic there, we couldn't see if we were still on the road.

Her response? Laughter. Hysterical laughter. Maniacal even.

My response? Shock. Fear. Preparation for death.

I learned something that day, about how some people react in surprising ways to challenging situations. :unsure:

I got the roof done just in time. It has been raining all day. Now it looks like I'll have to wait until Sunday, when it is supposed to be sunny and warm, to change my oil and thermostat in the GMC.

It was a bit steep replacing that one section of roof.

bad_roof.jpg

My roof's a lot less steep but if you wanna do yours instead, well, what can I say? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that looks uncomfortably steep. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with heights. I'll climb up there and do whatever, but I feel it. But I'll do it, so I'm not "scared" exactly, but I don't feel comfortable. Don't know what you'd call that. A healthy respect?

Now let't talk price. Due to the structure under my roof there's a tendency for water damming in the winter, right in the middle of a large section of roof. So I'm thinkin' I'll have to use that membrane stuff clear up to at least the middle of the roof (since redesigning the building itself to solve the problem isn't an option). Bet that's gonna cost me! Dang.

Weather, right ... Chilly, cloudy, looks nasty, but it's getting warmer!

It cost me $180.00 for the roofing shingles (3 squares) and a gallon of tar for that one section of the roof plus a couple 30 packs of Bud Light and a feast for my friends to help me. It took us 2 1/2 hours. We parked my buddy's RV along side the porch area, set a saw horse on top with a 16 foot pick running from the RV to the top of the porch roof. We had to use 3 sets of roof jacks to comfortably scale the section of roof which is about a 6/12 pitch.

Have to give you props, roofing's hard work. Coincidentally, a flyer in the Sunday paper listed the membrane I needed, at $100 a roll (and I'd need many of them). :blink:

The weather man! It's freakin' gorgeous today! But I worked last night and am way too tired to go outside (though I came home as the Sun was rising and did a bit of cleanup 'round the yard and refreshed some mulch before collapsing inside).

We're in the upper 50s with a strong breeze blowing. I crawled under my GMC and changed the oil then I flushed the brake system and added new brake fluid. I decided to run over to the parts store and pick up a 180 degree thermostat and gasket. They said that the lowest they listed was a 195 degree, so I told them to give me one for a '92 Vette with the LT1. They thought I was nuts until I showed them that any stat that fits a small block Chevy will work. Now I have to wait for the truck to cool down so I can replace it. Good timing seeing as the race is on.