Dial-up Connection Problem

I have a friend trying to fix a computer with a peculiar problem and I'm looking for any and all suggestions

He wrote:

"I have a friend that has problems with dial up internet connectivity.

A year and a half ago she could not connect to the internet at all. AT&T ran new lines to the house.

Everything worked fine for a long time.

Suddenly she cannot connect anymore.

I brought the system over to my house and reloaded and reformatted it with XP sp2. Clean Windows.

Everything works fine here. I tested dialup and connect at 53.3. About as good as you are going to get!

When I delivered it we cannot connect at her house. I contend it is the phone line.

I brought my laptop over. I cannot connect. He sons laptop cannot connect.

I tell her the problem is the phone lines. So her husband runs all new lines.

Still cant connect. Ok I bought a new modem .

Worked but only connects at 14.4 if you are lucky! She complained about the speed.

I contend that the problem is the phone line. It always has been.

Friend absolutely refuses to believe me!

My next step is to tell her to call Geeks on Call. Let them charge you 40 bucks to ring your door bell and then 75 bucks an hour after that. To tell you exactly what I told you in the first place

What is your opinion?"

Mark

Edited by garmanma

It's the phone line. Does she have any background noise when on the phone? Even if not, a call to the phone company about the PHONE will get them out there. In running new lines within the house are they absolutely sure it was done correctly? What about their ISP? Who are they with and have they tried contacting them?

I agree with you that it's probably internal wiring. His predicament is it's a friend that he charges a nominal fee, Like 20 bucks. He's more or less cutting them a lot of slack but they're holding him fully responsible for not being able to get online. I told him to cut his losses and if the friendship dissolves because of it, so be it

Mark

It just seems to me all he need do is have a good look at the connections at each tap that's installed. Could be a wire is loose. If it's all new wire, I would think the only other thing could be is a staple or something pierced it.