Need Some Tips On Website Security

One of my online friends is the owner/admin of EK9.org and he would like some tips on keeping his website secure. Recently a hacker brought his site down for 2 or 3 days and he just got it back up. Since he is in Guatemala, he has a little trouble loading this site so he asked me to ask for him. Thank you for any help.

There are some simple ones, such as keep software up-to-date, change default passwords, etc. Security is very dynamic. Does he know how his site was exploited? How much of the site did he write himself? How much is software-based? Did he write anything using SQL?

Edit: Just doing a quick search, I can pull up many security holes in his current forum software. According to their website, the latest update is 3.6.8 Patch Level 2. He needs to have that.

VBulletin has been a easy mark for a "Inlinemod.PHP SQL Injection" exploit in the past. The older version was so easy to access it was just a matter of typing some code into the login. Like Matt said just keep the software up to date.