I just got back from vacation and my PC doesn't work. When you turn it on it powers on but no POST screen. I know you guys are going to ask so, I woke up my roommate (not happy) to listen for beep codes. There are none.

I've tried unplugging everything like printer, external HDD but it didn't help. The PSU seems to be fine and lights come on, just nothing on the screen. I checked the monitor connections and they are fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Ana

Oh yeah, I'm running XP Pro w/sp2, Amd 4600+ dual core, 2GB of RAM and an EVGA 7600GT

Edited by deaf_girl

Does the Hard Drive light flicker or does it stay constantly on and not go off?

Are you using onboard graphics, or a graphics card?

Is this a LCD, or CTR monitor?

Do you have a spare monitor you can try?

The computer was working when I left and nothing was disconnected from the computer.

It's a 19" LG LCD monitor thats less than six months old. It has power and working. I have a EVGA 7600GT card in the PC and have tried the integrated video port on the mobo.

The HDD light does not come on

a bad power supply or motherboard could cause that symptom. I would try a new PSU ans see if that helps.

I have personally came across computers where the power supply seemed to be working(lights on and fans running), but would not properly boot the computer

Is that an AM2, I ask because they only use 65 watts. Even if it is socket 939(higher wattage), you could probably get by with 300 watts. Pull out the video card and use oboard, and a 250 watt PSU should be fine.

edit added//

Those numbers may be low, I did not do much detailed figuring. I see Dell Pentium 4 systems with onboard video that are sold with 250 watt PSU all the time.

It definitely could be the mother board, with a high probability. Try resetting the cmos, usually pulling the battery is sufficient, you may also have jumpers to move. If you have two sticks of ram, try individual sticks in each socket. It may not be a bad idea to remove your sata and ide devices, assuming they are causing a problem. It should still post without them.