(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't really know where to put this)

I might be getting a laptop from my dad's girlfriend. This isn't any laptop. No, no my friend. This is a six year old Toshiba Satellite 100CS [link]. I don't know if that are it's exact specs, but it's close. So, my question to you is, what the hell should I do with it? I want it to be a learning experience sorta thing. I thought of the obvious of putting linux on it and tinkering around a bit, but I want to do something else too, and I haven't a clue what. Thanks.

-gimpi

Well with the blinding fast CPU and mega quick ram I will suggest the first thing you do is paint it black.

I guess this speed demon has 98se or ME on it.

Ok the black paint has dried by now(I type that slow) :D on the top of the case in white or gold using a set of stencils spell out "MY BIG LITTLE BLACK BOOK"(not to worry you will have room) ;)

Now you have a freshly painted(moded if you prefer)PC now all you need to do is add the names of everyone you have ever meet in your life.

If you wish you can all so make a daily diary and keep track of what goes on in you life. B)

only a idea.... :)

Linux of a recent vintage would be a bit a heavy for that hardware. Best bet for an operating system would be something from the same period. Linux 2.0-based distros, older version of BSD, older versions of OS/2, most forms of DOS (MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS), Win3.1 or maybe Win95. Some of the free embedded systems -- RTEMS, eCos, the embedded Linuces -- would work as well but probably wouldn't be very interesting (people seem to like applications and user-interfaces for some reason :-).

Hi gimpi, I also have an old (maybe 7 years) toshiba laptop !!! wow!!!

anyhoo... it wouldnt support linux, or many other things. piece of crap really. On it (about 4-5 years ago) I first learned how to format and clean install. I guess you already know how to do that so, hmm paper weight?

M@

• 3 weeks later...