Installing Xp Home On Hp Pavilion Xe783

I thought I would give my daughter-in-law an early Christmas present and install XP SP2 Home on her XE783 computer that is running WME. I have done every check and it is able to run XP without any problems.

I have another HD and the new XP Cd.

I started the install on the new HD and it said it could not install because the bios was not right and to press f7 to continue. After the 3rd try I pressed f7 and xp installed and is running fine as far as I can tell at this time.

When I checked the device manager it shows the scsi controller with a yellow question mark. When I try to update the driver it says no driver can be found and gives a code 28.

How can I correct this problem?

Thanks.

Thats odd. I can't imagine what kind of scsi device that computer would use. Are both the harddrive and cdrom using regular ide cables or scsi cables?

Hi shanenin,

The cables are the original cables and are ide.

Both HD's are Maxtor 30(Orginal) and Maxtor 15.

I am using the 15 to be sure everything works.

Here is what the wme hd has for that scsi controller:

ACARD AEC 6710 DPCI ULTRA SCSI-3 ADAPTER

c:\windows\system\iosubsys\aec6710D, MPD

c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd(ios,vxd)

Does that help?

Is their an actual scsi pci card installed, or is this onboard? From what I read onboard scsi controllers are very rare. If you just have the card in their and it is not connected to any scsi devices can it be removed? Did you let windows update look for the driver, I am surprised it can find some difficult ones on occasion.

Is their an actual scsi pci card installed, or is this onboard? From what I read onboard scsi controllers are very rare. If you just have the card in their and it is not connected to any scsi devices can it be removed? Did you let windows update look for the driver, I am surprised it can find some difficult ones on occasion.

Thanks everyone. There was a pci master scsi card that I had not paid any attention to before. It had never been used so I removed it and that solved that problem.

I now have another problem as I can not get the files and setting to transfer.

I open up the wizard and select old computer(E drive) to transfer from.

I then put files and settings into a new folder called "fast" on the E drive.

I then reopen the wizard and select new computer to transfer to.

I choose new folder in E drive called "fast" and let the wizard complete.

It says all files and setting are transfered, but the C drive is still the same.

Nothing has been transfered.

I will keep searching.

Is it an option to just manually transfer the files. If it was me, I would just copy their "favorites", "desktop", and "My documents" directory. Maybe also take a peek at the root of the C:\ directory, often people put files there. Then Just manually transfer these back to XP. If needed, I also would do this same thing with outlook or outlook. express.

Thanks everyone. There was a pci master scsi card that I had not paid any attention to before. It had never been used so I removed it and that solved that problem.

I now have another problem as I can not get the files and setting to transfer.

I open up the wizard and select old computer(E drive) to transfer from.

I then put files and settings into a new folder called "fast" on the E drive.

I then reopen the wizard and select new computer to transfer to.

I choose new folder in E drive called "fast" and let the wizard complete.

It says all files and setting are transfered, but the C drive is still the same.

Nothing has been transfered.

I will keep searching.

Start > Run > Type cmd the press the <Enter> key. At the command prompt type userpasswords2 then press the <Enter> key. Select the Users tab in the window that pops up. Uncheck the option Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer. Click OK. Enter the username and password of the account you would like Windows to automatically log into after booting up. Close the window and reboot.

Start > Run > Type cmd the press the <Enter> key. At the command prompt type userpasswords2 then press the <Enter> key. Select the Users tab in the window that pops up. Uncheck the option Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer. Click OK. Enter the username and password of the account you would like Windows to automatically log into after booting up. Close the window and reboot.

Thanks TT_75

Tried that and got this:

Not Recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I do not have any password set.

Edited by tman70

I have got everything running good and have cloned another HD for them for backup.

They have a Kodak digital camera.

I had downloaded the Kodak program from their Kodak cd. I had noticed that it did not take over the pics in their MY Pictures folder the way it did in Wme. Pics still use MS to open. I could not check it out as I could not get their camera until this morning.

I have had to return home today. However, before I left I tried to download some pictures for them from their Kodak camera and could not get them to show in the Kodak program. As I could only spend about 10 minutes trying, I did not get it figured out. It is an easy share camera about two or three years old. Sorry but I do not know the model.

Would having her uninstalling the program from add/remove and then reinstalling correct the problem or should she look for some other setting?

I prefer Microsoft's applications to retrieve the pictures from my camera over the manufacturer's software. There are many reports of Kodak's Easy Share of being problemic.

I noticed before that kodak was a resource hog in Wme, plus it took 15 or 20 seconds to load every time you wanted to open a picture.

I'm not familiar with these programs other than using theirs to put pictures in their web site.

How do you use MS to download pictures from a Kodak easy share camera?

I am not sure about all of this sofware, but I hook up my sister's camera without any software and windows xp will take a couple of seconds and then it finds the device. A Window pops up and says what I would like to do and I pick view files and folders and then just go to the pictures folder and I drag and drop them into another folder or the desktop.

I am not sure about all of this sofware, but I hook up my sister's camera without any software and windows xp will take a couple of seconds and then it finds the device. A Window pops up and says what I would like to do and I pick view files and folders and then just go to the pictures folder and I drag and drop them into another folder or the desktop.

Thanks everybody!!!

Just got off the phone with my Daughter-in-law and had her uninstall the Kodak Easy Share from add/remove program. It was a large file. Then I had her search for it using Regseeker. Then she hooked up her camera and the MS Wizard popped up. She can now download pictures from her camera at a later date.

I then had her run JKDefrag.

Thanks again for all the replies.