Another Wireless Question

Got a linksys 802.11g for x-mas( yeah!!) Hooked it up, did all the setup stuff and got an excellent connection to my laptop...secure connection etc...Very happy!! almost...I have a Dell as my desktop and an IBM R40 as the PC I am using wirelessly. Don't know if anyone has any experience with this, but I figured I would ask. I have to use the At&T dialer to connect to my work stuff as it is behind a firewall. It works thru my cable connection to my desktop, but can't get it to work with the wireless PC. If I hook up my laptop to the wired connection, it works..Been thru all the network settings on both....Called Linksys twice...Called my work help desk.....no help...This is one of the main reasons I got it for when I work from home...and it's cool...All internet connections work on the wireless except for connecting to work...It times out and I get a 101 error saying mac address not found..Both PC's have xp pro by the way...Any suggestions would be of great help!!! :blink:

PS..Sorry if this should have been posted in the hardware section...but I thought it was more of a windows setup problem...the hardware works fine...

When you say "cable connection to your desktop" do mean a wired LAN (Ethernet) connection or a broadband (cable/DSL) modem?

Assuming you mean wired, I assume your internet connection is dial-up (you mentioned AT&T dialer - is this an external modem?).

If you can give some more details on just how things are connected it would help.

For example, my connections are:

Wall -> Cable Modem -> Wireless Router -> (wired)Desktop + (wifi)Laptops.

Edited by CurlingSteve
When you say "cable connection to your desktop" do mean a wired LAN (Ethernet) connection or a broadband (cable/DSL) modem?

Assuming you mean wired, I assume your internet connection is dial-up (you mentioned  AT&T dialer - is this an external modem?).

If you can give some more details on just how things are connected it would help.

For example, my connections are:

Wall -> Cable Modem -> Wireless Router -> (wired)Desktop +  (wifi)Laptops.

Sorry for the confusion.....my wireless works great....for normal internet use. Desktop is connected to a cable modem.....all is wonderful except to get into the websites and and applications that I use for work on my laptop (the wireless one), If I want to get into my company's applications from home, I have to use the AT&T dialer.(this dials up thru my cable modem not to be confused with a dialup to the internet) This allows me thru the company firewall so I can use applications that I use at work to work at home..It's just added security so anyone who does not work their can't get in..My problem is that when I went to wireless...the desktop can still dial in to work, but the wireless laptop can't.....IT keeps timing out with a error 101 Missing default gateway mac address...

Sorry for all the trouble..Just thought someone might be wireless at home and have to dial into work and may have experienced this problem..Thanks everyone for responding!!

Have you tried disabling security on the wireless setup. Maybe you have an encryption problem.

Yeah, I tried that..no luck...What I did find is that I have an older version of the program...I have to wait to get to work and dowload the new version...Maybe the old one doesn't support wireless..or has options for a wireless network...off all week...so I'll have to wait..As long as my desktop PC can connect to work....no biggie until then...thanks again for all your help!!

:D