I have been running the service pack since it came out and before it was released when it was a beta package. I have not had any problems with it at all. As long as you follow the instructions I gave you should not have any problems with it.

It is best for the Home User to wait until they see it available at windows update to get it. This way you will get a significantly smaller download and installer based on what patches you already have and which ones you still need.

I suggest that if you choose to enable automatic updates, you set them to prompt only, not to install automatically.

This advice was provided when SP1 came out and I am including it here since it is still valid for installing SP3

1. Clean out your temp files in the temp folder.

2. Clean out your temporary Internet files and cookies.

3. Defrag the hard drive.

4. Turn off your anti virus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.

5. During the install you will be asked if you want to archive the files, do so. The archived file scan be deleted later if the service pack works. Having the archived files, will allow you to uninstall the service pack if you have any problems.

6. After the pc reboots, reboot a couple more times. This insures that when you start up every thing will start up with in a good time period.

7. After rebooting the extra times, turn your anti virus and firewall back on.

These steps will help insure that your download and install do not get corrupted. That is what causes allot of the bad installs of the service pack.

Here is what I have gathered so far as the best advice for a safe install. (Thanks to Pete_C)

1. Back up your data to be safe. You should have been doing this all along, but this gives a good excuse to catch up on it.

2. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and defrag. Good standard maintenance and definitely worth doing now so that things are clean when you do your Service Pack 3 install.

3. If you have an XP CD, do a system file check. This way you have all damaged or missing dlls and system files replaced before you do the Service Pack 3 install so that it is working with a solid install. Put your XP install cd in your cdrom drive and go to start/ run and type

sfc /scannow

hit enter. It will start windows file protection and compare all files to the original install or update patches (The $NTuninstall files in windows). If it says failed, hit retry, it just means something is using it and you have to hit retry to pause the process. May take two or three clicks of retry.

4. Restart computer

5. Turn off your antivirus; make sure script blocking is disabled. Enable the windows firewall (right click on your connection in network places and choose protect with ICF) and disable your current firewall. If you have spybot run and choose advanced interface (under mode) and under tools go to resident and disable resident shield and tea timer.

6. Run the install if you downloaded it or windows update if you are doing it that way. It will take some time so be patient. Do not panic if things seem to stop. Get a sandwich or something. Just check back to see if you have to click something else.

7. When it finishes and asks to restart, choose no: I will restart later and then finish. Re enable your antivirus (but leave off script blocking) and firewall.

8. Restart PC. It will take a bit longer than normal on reboot, but not extremely long. It should finish with a prompt to enable automatic updates and verify your firewall and antivirus. If Norton antivirus, it may not properly interface so you may have to choose the do not monitor my antivirus it checks for updates itself.

9. Re enable spybot resident shield. It will warn of a new IE toolbar (which warns of sites trying to run active x or install things behind your back) and a lock of the blank.htm web page file to prevent its being replaced by coolwebsearch. Re enable script blocking in your antivirus.

Now you have the latest Service Pack installed, and should be good to go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The other day I installed service pack 3 for XP. XP seems to be running a lot faster then it did with service pack 2. Of course service pack 3 is not out yet and I am currently running the service pack in beta mode. When it does get released some time this month I can't wait to install it on my brothers computer as well as my sisters computer.

• 2 months later...
I have been running the service pack since it came out and before it was released when it was a beta package. I have not had any problems with it at all. As long as you follow the instructions I gave you should not have any problems with it.

It is best for the Home User to wait until they see it available at windows update to get it. This way you will get a significantly smaller download and installer based on what patches you already have and which ones you still need.

I suggest that if you choose to enable automatic updates, you set them to prompt only, not to install automatically.

This advice was provided when SP1 came out and I am including it here since it is still valid for installing SP3

1. Clean out your temp files in the temp folder.

2. Clean out your temporary Internet files and cookies.

3. Defrag the hard drive.

4. Turn off your anti virus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.

5. During the install you will be asked if you want to archive the files, do so. The archived file scan be deleted later if the service pack works. Having the archived files, will allow you to uninstall the service pack if you have any problems.

6. After the pc reboots, reboot a couple more times. This insures that when you start up every thing will start up with in a good time period.

7. After rebooting the extra times, turn your anti virus and firewall back on.

These steps will help insure that your download and install do not get corrupted. That is what causes allot of the bad installs of the service pack.

Here is what I have gathered so far as the best advice for a safe install. (Thanks to Pete_C)

1. Back up your data to be safe. You should have been doing this all along, but this gives a good excuse to catch up on it.

2. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and defrag. Good standard maintenance and definitely worth doing now so that things are clean when you do your Service Pack 3 install.

3. If you have an XP CD, do a system file check. This way you have all damaged or missing dlls and system files replaced before you do the Service Pack 3 install so that it is working with a solid install. Put your XP install cd in your cdrom drive and go to start/ run and type

sfc /scannow

hit enter. It will start windows file protection and compare all files to the original install or update patches (The $NTuninstall files in windows). If it says failed, hit retry, it just means something is using it and you have to hit retry to pause the process. May take two or three clicks of retry.

4. Restart computer

5. Turn off your antivirus; make sure script blocking is disabled. Enable the windows firewall (right click on your connection in network places and choose protect with ICF) and disable your current firewall. If you have spybot run and choose advanced interface (under mode) and under tools go to resident and disable resident shield and tea timer.

6. Run the install if you downloaded it or windows update if you are doing it that way. It will take some time so be patient. Do not panic if things seem to stop. Get a sandwich or something. Just check back to see if you have to click something else.

7. When it finishes and asks to restart, choose no: I will restart later and then finish. Re enable your antivirus (but leave off script blocking) and firewall.

8. Restart PC. It will take a bit longer than normal on reboot, but not extremely long. It should finish with a prompt to enable automatic updates and verify your firewall and antivirus. If Norton antivirus, it may not properly interface so you may have to choose the do not monitor my antivirus it checks for updates itself.

9. Re enable spybot resident shield. It will warn of a new IE toolbar (which warns of sites trying to run active x or install things behind your back) and a lock of the blank.htm web page file to prevent its being replaced by coolwebsearch. Re enable script blocking in your antivirus.

Now you have the latest Service Pack installed, and should be good to go.

• 3 months later...

Ok, apparently both my pc's received the d/l for this. My daughter came down yesterday and said the one upstairs could not access the internet. I have a temp. cast on for a broken foot, and didn't feel like messing with it at the time. Then this morning I came down here, tried to check my mail and could not connect. Saw there was an update to be installed, ignored it. Called ATT, he told me to turn off Zone Alarm, cause the new update was prolly sp3, and after I did, the internet came back.

What is it that makes ZA being on not able to connect?

The router I have has a firewall on it, but I always run ZA to be safe.

Should I install it and leave ZA off?

If I leave it off, will it be able to access the internet when I turn it back on?

He gave me the 866 number for MS, so they could help me d/l the patch, but we all know what it's like trying to talk to them sometimes.....

Ok, apparently both my pc's received the d/l for this. My daughter came down yesterday and said the one upstairs could not access the internet. I have a temp. cast on for a broken foot, and didn't feel like messing with it at the time. Then this morning I came down here, tried to check my mail and could not connect. Saw there was an update to be installed, ignored it. Called ATT, he told me to turn off Zone Alarm, cause the new update was prolly sp3, and after I did, the internet came back.

What is it that makes ZA being on not able to connect?

The router I have has a firewall on it, but I always run ZA to be safe.

Should I install it and leave ZA off?

If I leave it off, will it be able to access the internet when I turn it back on?

He gave me the 866 number for MS, so they could help me d/l the patch, but we all know what it's like trying to talk to them sometimes.....

This should have been posted as a New Topic and not as a reply in the sticky. That way it would receive more attention.

This is ZA's answer to the problem.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pre...ccessIssue.html

My answer would be to get rid of ZA and start using Comodo 3.0, but that's me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Would you guys recommending updating yet? I am now getting a little baloon quite often telling me its ready to install SP3. Should I keep hitting no, or can I install it now?

I have installed it on several PC's and not the first problem. I just let it install and had no problems. Didn't do any of the things listed in the first post in this thread. I know several no tech people who also have installed it and don't know anything about backing up or any of the other stuff. They have had no problems either.

• 1 month later...
LOL!

What computers are you working on?

They absolutely mean everything startup time, CPU Usage, etc.

My ancient 6 year old PC does what it needs to do. It is warmed up and ready to go by the time I get my first sip of coffee and drag of a cigarette. I have no hesitation with any of it's programs.

System: AMD XP 2400+; Epox 8KHA+; Kingston 3x256 PC2700; MSI MX-4000 T-128; Memorex 40 Maxx CD-RW; Lite-On 52X CD-Rom.

• 1 month later...