Ok... Ok.... I Have To Try

After watching this vid.

I have to try one or two.

So... One I can run off a disk. And the fancier the better. What do you suggest I try. I read about some of the newer ones on digg. But they never really showed a vid like this. Now I have to give it a try.

So show me the world of Linux or whichever you suggest is the neatest.

You are in for a treat, my friend:-) Many Linux distros these days come in a live CD format. There are several live CDs you can try out that'll boot totally from the CD ROm drive without touching your windows install.

1. Ubuntu

2. Fedora

3. Suse

If you think you might want to install a distro Ubuntu is a good first choice for Linux. It is also very good at setting up a dual boot with windows XP ( not sure about Vista though- Jeff might know about that) :thumbsup:

Getting Ubuntu to dual-boot with Vista is cake. Since Vista allows you to create/resize partitions without losing data, all you need to do is install on your unalocated space. I use Grub, I know Jeff prefers Vista's boot loader.

Yes, Compiz is pretty. Last time I messed with it, it didn't work right. I might have to try it out again. If you are using a reasonably powered machine, you won't need Xubuntu, go for regular Ubuntu. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips on which ones to try. I'm going to dig out my nicer AMD 2400FX throw in a half a gig and try to decide which drive to use. But that might take a time to get through (allot of things taking up my time). But I'm going to start with the distros and start playing around with them. And since I see there are a good assortment of tips and givin help you all already supplied. I think this is going to be fun trying something new.

(Does this mean I have to get me a penguin decal now)... LOL

here is one

LOSTBTF.jpg

Edited by iccaros

i'm just in awe over the excellent "virtual like matrix look" of the program in the videos while you switched through files. Does that make sense? i've never seen windows do that.. Well..Ok i've never seen the windows on My computer do that. You partitioned off some gigs for the xbutun and let windows alocate the xbutunt? And this program is on the CD? Sorry if i sound confused jsky. i'm curious but still intimated by linux related talk. Still awesome looking "software" ?..thanks for sharing!

Well, been trying the live cd version of Ubuntu 7.10 and it seems to find everything it needs to run OK. I have good graphics, sound, internet connection.

So far it's just been the basics to get a feel for it. But I am impressed!!!

It takes a little while to load to desktop. But I figure it's because of running off the CD and not from a drive.

I wonder if I can sneak it onto my third drive and get it to work like I have it set up now. I have Vista and my backup drives connected to one IDE port. And my XP drive connected with my CD drive on the CD IDE port. So far there is no need for a bootloader. If you look for an operating system it only finds the Vista build. Doesn't even see the XP build. And it boots stright to Vista. You don't get any options of which OS you want at boot. (I have the F9 key setup on my motherboard, you just hit F9 during boot and it allows you to choose what to boot to) Handy if you set your system to first boot to the HD and not to the floppy or CD.

But yes, just checking out the main things it does seem like a very good system. I'll play with the basics and then get more into it when I get more of a feel for it.

Thanks for your input guys. :thumbsup: