Fakealert-s.dll[INACTIVE]

According to McAfee, my system has fallen prey to a trojan that gives fake virus alerts. I've located the file in my system folders but receive the following message when I attempt to delete the file:

Error deleting file folder

Cannot delete moywh: Access denied

This is also the cause of a shortcut in my taskbar that I cannot delete. Has anyone come up against this particular issue and if so, what is the best method of riding my system of it? It has been hiding out since 1/18/07.

Thanks for any assistance,

Yolanda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yolanda,

I will be handling your log to help you get cleaned up. If you still need help, please follow the instructions HERE and post a Hijack This log as a reply to this topic. I can then indentify the infection and remove it for you.

I want you to show hidden files. There are instructions HERE to help you do this.

You should have Administrator rights to perform the fixes. Some of the instructions I give may need to be printed or saved for reference during the fix. Some of the fix will be done in Safe Mode so you will be unable to access this thread at that time.

Please dont use any of the tools without specific instructions. Some of them are dangerous (and could leave your computer in worse condition that it is when infected) if used incorrectly.

These instuctions should be read first, then followed. If you do not understand something, don't be afraid to ask, or see if I'm on chat. :)

Edited by sarahw