Need Help With Win Server 2003

I agreed to help a struggling nonprofit with some of their IT needs. They have a Server running 2003 standard and 7 XP pro workstations. I have been asked to add a new user and a new XP pro workstation to the network (or is it domain?). However I'm not familiar with their type of setup. It seems that a person can log onto any one of the workstations with their unique username and find all of their settings, documents, email, etc. right there. I added a user to the server under Active Directory, setting up everything the same as another user account with similar permissions, but could not figure out how to create a home folder nor where this should be created. It seems that all of the other home folders are located at various designations such as:

connect G:\\server\johndoe$\settings\profile

or

connect R:\\server\janedoe$\settings\profile

but I cannot find these drive letters on the server.

Now if I can get past that part I will also need to figure out how to connect the new workstation to the domain (network?)

I'm in over my head a bit here :unsure: and they needed this setup yesterday.

I've read and researched a lot and the more I do the more uncertain I become. Please give me a shove in the right direction.

Begging and Pleading.

My server knowledge is limited. I have server 2003 running in my office, but I am using just a workgroup(no need for a domain). Someday when I have time, I should just try setting up a domain with some client computers.

If I get the job building a new workstation, I will learn then how to add it to the domain. I figured it would not be to hard to do. That is why your post caught my attention.

Sounds like you're dealing with roaming profiles. Here's a pretty thorough explanation of the process:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...erver-2003.html

Once you get the profile setup, adding the computer is pretty easy (unless they've done something strange). When you connect to the domain, it will add the computer profile automatically.

They are running an Active Directory domain.

The drives are really folders on the server. It should be set as C:\ for the OS and D:\ for everything else.

The new server they want, is it going to be a file server? Or another domain controller?

Either way you want some serious processor and ram. If not you will be chasing down poor performance complaints from the users.

I know a little about servers and active directory.

Mike