So I'm Driving Home From Work, Minding My Own Business ...

For several miles a black Chevy pickup truck's in the right lane, I'm in the left. At each stoplight they accelerate quickly but I catch up. We're pretty even-stevens for mile after mile, they accelerate like mad, then goes slow, and I catch up. We get to an intersection where the two lanes merge into one, we're at the stoplight, and, knowing they accelerate fast then go slow I COULD have sped up to get ahead. The next five miles have a high speed limit and no lights, so ... do I want to let them get ahead, only to go slow for the next five miles?

Sure! Let them get ahead. I'm in no particular hurry. I almost never accelerate hard unless it's an emergency. I'm patient. I don't really care. And so they zoom ahead.

But the car BEHIND the black Chevy pickup truck ALSO wants to get ahead of me. Uh. No. The black truck, then me, THEN YOU. You know, take turns. Like any kindergartner knows how to do.

Their lane ends, and since I let the pickup in front of me they are still right next to me, and they hit me instead of merging. Instead of slowing down. Instead of taking their turn.

That's the second time that's happened at that same intersection. The first time I was caught entirely off guard and looked over to see what the heck they were doing beside me since their lane ENDS, and that guy was fuming and cussing and gesturing at me. Oh really? You don't know how to take turns, you don't know how to merge, your car apparently has no brakes, and you're mad at me?

This time, like the last, I'm in a ten-year-old plus truck. So ... Run into me. Go ahead. See if I care. So some plastic gets scratched. It goes well with the rusted out running boards. :rolleyes:

LOL.....

Kids and their games... Don't you know that someones going to get an eye poked out..... :rolleyes:

I KNOW! I guess I haven't left all that angry driving behind me. I sure thought I did.

I also know people (including me) can justify anything. Anything. I felt, at the time, justified. But it was stupid. I was willing to let the truck get in front of me even though I knew it would go much slower than I would have gone. So, why not let the jerkball in front too? He'd be stuck behind that same truck too. So, what difference would it have made? None.

Hey, you're never too old to learn (or ... RE-LEARN ... since I thought I'd learned that lesson a long time ago).

LOL.....

Kids and their games... Don't you know that someones going to get an eye poked out..... :rolleyes:

I KNOW! I guess I haven't left all that angry driving behind me. I sure thought I did.

I also know people (including me) can justify anything. Anything. I felt, at the time, justified. But it was stupid. I was willing to let the truck get in front of me even though I knew it would go much slower than I would have gone. So, why not let the jerkball in front too? He'd be stuck behind that same truck too. So, what difference would it have made? None.

Hey, you're never too old to learn (or ... RE-LEARN ... since I thought I'd learned that lesson a long time ago).

Nowadays you're lucky that the jerk didn't have a gun at the ready. As you said, "people can justify anything." Very sad, but it's a fact of life now.

I HATE driving in Phoenix. The kind of behavior that you described happens all the time. And don't get me started about the 10 mpg SUV's with their 50,000 mega watt ghetto blasters. :glare:

Edited by irregularjoe