I have the pleasure of being chosen as a beta tester for both XP SP3 and Vista's SP1.

In this post I will give my findings on the latest service pack for XP.

To start with. There really are a few items added from Windows Vista, and contains a number of useful features for businesses and consumers.

SP3 includes four new features among the 1,000-plus individual hot fixes and patches that have been issued since XP2's debut three years ago. The new stuff isn't particularly noteworthy, and the rest has been available already through Windows Update. SP3 functions mostly as a collection of past fixes with a few security additions. SP3 is most certainly essential for anyone who hasn't applied SP2, and for those who haven't kept up with the Windows Update downloads, but if you've been on top of things, SP3 won't do much for you.

Features imported from Vista include Network Access Protection (NAP), an enterprise policy enforcement technology that inspects client PCs before they access a corporate network, then updates the machines if necessary or blocks them if they don't meet specified security criteria.

Other additions range from a new Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module containing several encryption algorithms that can be accessed by third-party developers, which provides easy access to multiple cryptographic algorithms and is available for use in kernel-mode drivers and services. To a new Windows activation model that doesn't require users to enter a product key.

The most obvious new additions are the latest versions of Microsoft's browser and media player—Media Player 11 and Internet Explorer 7.0—both of which have been avaliable from Microsofts download site for quite some time. Another noticeable feature (if you look hard enough), are new and clearer descriptions of some settings in the Control Panel Security Options applet, changes designed to help users avoid configuring system security incorrectly. The only other significant user-interface modification lies with the taskbar, which no longer has the Address Bar.

I was hoping the Microsoft team would have added some new colors for us to use on the taskbar, but we are still stuck with the big three favorites. :angry:

There really isn't much difference in boot times. But I believe working with the desktop seems more snappier.

JSKY

Tips for upgrading to SP3.

I would suggest a few things for upgrading to SP3 would be to clean up your system good.

Start by cleaning out your browsers history and cookies. Then run your "Disk Cleanup" utility program. Then finish off with disk defragment. Getting everything cleaned up and in order.

I never had any problems with leaving my protections running (virus program, firewall) while doing this upgrade. But disabling them to guarantee a good problem free install might not be a bad idea. Just make sure to disconnect from the internet while the upgrade is in process. Reboot a couple of times to get the new features to work themselves into the system.

This upgrade is by far more worry free then SP2 was for some people. But it could be problematic for those who have slacked off with XPs upgrades and hotfixes since the release of SP2.

sp3 will be great. The first thing I will do will make a slipsteamed copy of XP to do installs at my shop. I am assuming IE7 will be included with it. That is good also. It is a pain to have to manually install it every time.

The nice thing is being able to save the SP3 update and applying it to later re-installs. When I'm doing tests. After installing XP with SP2. There are up to 100 downloads from M$ just for the recommended security updates. That's not counting the updates that are options.

Everything is included in SP3. So you are ready to go without hours downloading the updates. (many hours on dial-up). And if your installing from an older XP disk with no SPs or SP1. That could take forever to get things up to par.

• 1 month later...

Well I found these release dates from Microsoft.

SP3 for Windows XP Home Edition is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.

SP3 for Windows XP Professional is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.

"1H CY2008" Okayyyyy, I understand the 2008 part, what does the rest of it mean?? :blink:

And since Jsky wrote that if one kept up with updates that SP3 maybe won't be necessary, does anyone know if MS is going to "play hardball" with forcing us to update to it like they did with SP2? (the whole "I'm gonna withold new updates tactic")

Oh, and edit again :) Youse who have installed SP3--does it force you to install IE7? The kids have it, love it, I don't like it and don't want it. Tabbed browsing does nothing for me, gimme the old fashioned methods!!

Liz

Edited by blim

Liz.

I do think one would want to upgrade to SP3. Also it's nothing like SP2 was. I have installed and reinstalled it a dozen times now since it's beta release. And each time it was flawless. Both with my virus and firewalls running and turned off.

The SP3 Beta didn't show much improvment. But SP3 RC1 does show improvment to the speed and agility of XP. I noticed right away the difference between the two. Plue the 4 added security features added from Vista. And unless you did the recomended updates from M$, You may have missed many Hotfixes.

I know IE7 is included with SP3, but as one being able to choose to or not to install. I'm not sure. I upgraded to IE7 some time back, and really enjoy it's features. But I'm not sure if it ask during the SP3 upgrade.

Jsky, could you please do me a favor when you get a chance and see if IE7 is in your Add/Remove Program list? I've heard that if you remove IE7 that IE automatically reverts back to IE6 and thinkin' that if SP3 installs IE7, perhaps I can go back to IE6 through Add/Remove Programs (does that make any sense??)

Bozodog thinks like I do! :D Teach Old Dogs new tricks when they LIKE the old stuff??? Not without a lot of bellyaching!

Liz

It shows IE7 in the Add/Remove list. So If SP3 wants to auto install IE7, You can remove it later.

Jsky, you just made my DAY and today has been a terrific day (finished Christmas shopping)!! Thanks! (yahhhh, I know, I know, fret about the little thing, but doggone it, even though I haven't used IE7, just watching the kids use it on their idiotboxes, I don't want it! Tabs shmabs :) )

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

BOY!!!

I still haven't heard any dates for release. I'm supprised that M$ hasn't released a public preview yet for SP3 RC1. They have for Vista's. But then, M$ is trying to do whatever they can to boost Vista. But After the release of XPs SP3 RC1. It will be worth having it.

I can't wait for the final release of both....

I am getting tired of the little "Windows Vista Evaulation Copy. Build 6001" Showing up above the taskbar clock on the desktop. It's not there in XP. I wonder why that is?

And don't everyone get worried..... :blink: The little message goes away if you uninstall the beta's and won't be there on the gold release of the Service Packs... I just know someone is going to get worried and ask..... :huh:

So I'll just take away the question.... :lol: LOL

Poor Liz..... :(

Not wanting anything to do with IE7.... And getting closer to reality is IE8.

Maybe in 2008. M$ is just now starting to talk about it openly.... And it almost looks like IE8 is really going to give Firefox the run for the money from what I have been reading on some of the MSDN blogs.

IE8.....NO NO NO........ :blink:

:lol:

• 4 months later...

Liz -- I haven't been on the board in a while but remember

your agreeing with me quite a while back about not being

ready for IE7. Seems like long ago when I finally jumped

into IE7 and think it's just great. I always loved the tabs with

Firefox and now I can have them on IE too.

There's really nothing to dislike.

nancy

Good to know, Nancy and thanks! The kids are moving home for the Summer and Son was complaining about my IE6. As usual, I dug my heels in, BUT when he brings his idiotbox home, we're gonna trade so I can see his IE7 and try it out. Good compromise, huh? So who knows....after using it, I may just like it and switch.

And good to "see" you again, Nancy.

Liz

Yeah, it's in general release.

My auto update just told me it was downloaded to install on my home machine.

edit: OK I just put it on and defraged and it sure looks and acts like XP to me.

Everything I tried works just fine including IE and OE.

Edited by tjet
  • 3 months later...
Hi, This post of mine will surely updates knowledge and contain valuable information. However I would like suggestions about some specific information. If you can help me then please send me a private message. Many Thanks,

If you need information just ask within the forums. We don't answer questions pertaining to forum subjects through private messages.