Telephone Weirdness

I've seen an AT&T truck out front twice in the last few days. They placed cones around their truck and after a short time, left, leaving the cones in the middle of the street (which I moved to the curb). The second time they didn't move the cones and left them behind again.

Yesterday I received a call, the answering machine picked up, and it was a repeating tone. Not a computer tone, not a fax tone, closer to a dialing tone ... beep ... beep ... beep ...

Ignoring it I went about my business. When I came home later that day my phone was dead (very loud static). I traced it to the answering machine, I disconnected the machine and got my phone service back.

I went out for the evening and saw a truck, rigged like an AT&T truck but with no logo, parked at a local park. When they saw me pass by they took off. (I know, it sounds paranoid.)

Today I got five, six, seven or more of those "tone" calls within a few hours. Without the answering machine to pick up I have to pick them up. I hang up and, out of curiosity, pick up the line again. There's the tone. Still. After I've hung up the line. I can't disconnect from that tone call. Who has that ability, but for the phone company?

I call AT&T service and ask if what they're doing in the neighborhood is affecting my service. They offer to perform a line test, a useless gesture considering my line works. Usually after performing such tests they call you back to report the results, they didn't call.

After a time I call them (the phone works fine) and am placed on hold for as long as I could take it, I gave up and hung up (they picked up my original call quickly).

The "tone" calls are still occurring (got one while I was typing this). I've left the phone off the hook for now.

I discontinued Caller ID a long time ago since companies found a way around transmitting any identifying information. I didn't like paying for useless information such as; "Ontario Call," "800 Number," etc., which doesn't tell me WHO they are, the whole point of having Caller ID. So I don't know anything at all about the source of the calls.

I could call the police and have them trace the call, but I have little faith that anything would come of that. Unless it's something illegal they won't tell me where the call originates, or anything else, for that matter. Even if it is something illegal I'm not sure I'd be kept informed.

------

So, any ideas what this is?

"After a time I call them (the phone works fine) and am placed on hold for as long as I could take it, I gave up and hung up (they picked up my original call quickly)."

This tells me that something is wonky with the phones in your neighborhood/city--many folks calling with the same complaint.

I too, wouldn't bother calling the cops.....at least in this small town they're pretty worthless

Liz

Sure sounds like they're tapping your line. Probably recent graduates of the academy, as it sounds like they're too stupid to do it correctly and discreetly.

Since King George did away with the constitution, they don't even need a court order. It just falls under the Homeland Hysteria Act.

First thing I'd do would be to go out and phyically cut the connection at your house. Cancel the phone service, and get Skype and maybe a few pay as you go cell phones.

Or maybe cut the line outside and then call the phone company. Tell them that you think vandals did it and demand that they come out and fix it. This time WITHOUT the strange tones.

Edited by irregularjoe
First thing I'd do would be to go out and phyically cut the connection at your house. Cancel the phone service, and get Skype and maybe a few pay as you go cell phones.

And Jdoors thought HE was paranoid :D

Really though, why would they choose YOU to tap? I kinda doubt that's what's going on here... The second truck was probably just a contractor for ATT&T, hence the no ATT&T logo.

On the other hand, if you regularly go to Conspiracy theory sites, or political sites you might have gotten flagged... Who knows?

Edited by Bubba Bob

Don't mention anything about the user whose name is an Apple Computer. He is known to have these guys around.

Have fun with them, bring them ICE cold coffee. Let your imagination run. Take the cones, put them in the neighbors drive way. Laxative brownies.....I had better stop.

Mike

Howdy, i doubt you are being tapped because the Feds i know, and have worked with only tap buldings and places that carry lots of people. Individual houses are not tapped they are listened to and recorded with a device about the size of a hub cap. Its an antenia device which can pick up sounds from an amazing distance. So relax you or let your mind run wild !!

Chuck

... Individual houses are not tapped they are listened to and recorded with a device about the size of a hub cap. Its an antenia device which can pick up sounds from an amazing distance. ...

Thanks a lot! I feel SO much better! :lol:

Hadn't thought about the unmarked truck being a contractor, that's semi-relieving.

I don't see how using an Internet-based phone would make me feel any more secure, same goes for a cell. Like they wouldn't have the technology to "bug" those? (Not that I think I'm being bugged, just can't figure out WHAT it is.)

They would have no reason to care what I do, the worst I do is browse political sites (conservative ones at that) and ... well ... you know, the occasional well-known sexy site (nothing bizarre or risky).

A long, long time ago my Father got in trouble due to his firearm collecting, he bought one too many restricted parts apparently. Back then, even though we live in different states, I got some apparent signs of being "bugged"; clicks during conversations, various delays, one time I heard THEM, or so it seemed (picked up the phone and heard someone in what sounded like a small space, heard his chair squeaking, some computer sounds, then, "Oh XXXX" and it stopped).

I put the answering machine back in the system today (after leaving it unplugged overnight, interesting note: It kept the messages from the night before, quite the memory in there, and one of those is a "tone" call so I have a record of it, I was afraid I'd lose that when I unplugged it), it's fine. I think what screwed it up was it was unable to disconnect from one of those "tone" calls. I'm still leaving the phone off the hook, I'm not ready to be weirded out again if it happens again. I rarely use the phone anyway, the most common incoming call is from telemarketers (despite being on the "do not call" list, since I "do business with" various companies they are exempted from the list), the most common outgoing call is an occasional call to friends or family to make plans (for which I can put the phone back on).

One other possibility is someone got hold of my number and is playing a prank (has happened before). Leaving the phone off the hook should eventually make that boring enough they'll stop.

Edited by JDoors
... Individual houses are not tapped they are listened to and recorded with a device about the size of a hub cap. Its an antenia device which can pick up sounds from an amazing distance. ...

Thanks a lot! I feel SO much better! :lol:

Hadn't thought about the unmarked truck being a contractor, that's semi-relieving.

I don't see how using an Internet-based phone would make me feel any more secure, same goes for a cell. Like they wouldn't have the technology to "bug" those? (Not that I think I'm being bugged, just can't figure out WHAT it is.)

They would have no reason to care what I do, the worst I do is browse political sites (conservative ones at that) and ... well ... you know, the occasional well-known sexy site (nothing bizarre or risky).

A long, long time ago my Father got in trouble due to his firearm collecting, he bought one too many restricted parts apparently. Back then, even though we live in different states, I got some apparent signs of being "bugged"; clicks during conversations, various delays, one time I heard THEM, or so it seemed (picked up the phone and heard someone in what sounded like a small space, heard his chair squeaking, some computer sounds, then, "Oh XXXX" and it stopped).

I put the answering machine back in the system today (after leaving it unplugged overnight, interesting note: It kept the messages from the night before, quite the memory in there, and one of those is a "tone" call so I have a record of it, I was afraid I'd lose that when I unplugged it), it's fine. I think what screwed it up was it was unable to disconnect from one of those "tone" calls. I'm still leaving the phone off the hook, I'm not ready to be weirded out again if it happens again. I rarely use the phone anyway, the most common incoming call is from telemarketers (despite being on the "do not call" list, since I "do business with" various companies they are exempted from the list), the most common outgoing call is an occasional call to friends or family to make plans (for which I can put the phone back on).

One other possibility is someone got hold of my number and is playing a prank (has happened before). Leaving the phone off the hook should eventually make that boring enough they'll stop.

I hope everything works out. In my way of thinking, even conservatives should not be bugged . :D

As for the cell phones, I was referring to the ones that you buy and then just add minutes with a cash card. No records at all.

Just something to think about when the helicopters start hovering more than usual. Your right about the internet of course. But a laptop at a free WiFi hotspot would fix that problem too. Just be sure to wear a fake beard and moustache when the cameras zoom in. :lol:

Good luck

Joe

Howdy Joe, i just want to correct you so you will know the truth. You stated As for the cell phones, I was referring to the ones that you buy and then just add minutes with a cash card. No records at all.

I will tell you that all phone calls regardless of what type of phone you use does make and have records of where it was made to, the time, the date and other info. But not the conversation is recorded !

Just wanted to set this straight !!

Chuck

... Just be sure to wear a fake beard and moustache when the cameras zoom in. :lol: ...

:lol:

I have nothin' to hide, come and get me!

IF there's anything going on, my sense of humor won't help things. I called a friend and as we were talking, partly about the phone problems, there were some odd sounds on the line. After a brief silence from us as we pondered the irony, I said, "OK, we'll have to delay our plans, you know what to do, I'll contact you later."

She laughed because one, I'm a funny guy, and two, more importantly, this isn't the first time I've gone through some phone weirdness so it's a running joke by now.

At least, I hope it's just a joke. :o

Howdy Joe, i just want to correct you so you will know the truth. You stated As for the cell phones, I was referring to the ones that you buy and then just add minutes with a cash card. No records at all.

I will tell you that all phone calls regardless of what type of phone you use does make and have records of where it was made to, the time, the date and other info. But not the conversation is recorded !

Just wanted to set this straight !!

Chuck

That's true. But the owner of the phone is unknown if it's bought with cash. .....At least for now.

You got anyone who would be hiring a private investigator to check you out? It sounds more like a non legit attempt to tap your phone where the thing is not hooked up correctly (I know someone who had similar problems, they called the phone company to complain and the phone guy said that there line was crossed with an abandoned line to a garage on an ajdacent property , they cut the line and pulled it an no more problems.) The government is far more likely to just have it all done at the central station than risk having someone spot a truck in their neighborhood hooking things up (or have some technician who working on putting in a new line find and disconnect the tap). After all you do not think that every phone company lineman has an FBI security clearance do you ? How hard would it be to find one who would take a bribe to periodically check the drop and box in the neighborhood for an organized crime syndicate? Or how hard to get their own man working as a lineman? Not very; so anything like that is going to be done in a more controlled environment ; especially in todays environment of computerized switches. No, if you have a tap locally it would be by an amateur.

But my guess would be a problem with a crossed line or incorrect hookup or someone misdialing a dialup isp number. Maybe it is off by one digit . Or it could be a fax autodialer.

You got anyone who would be hiring a private investigator to check you out? It sounds more like a non legit attempt to tap your phone where the thing is not hooked up correctly ...

I never really thought it was the line being bugged, as I alluded to I believe that happened years ago and the evidence was far more subtle than a loud repeating tone (until that time they got it reversed and I was listening to them , or so it appeared). I've gotten the occasional dial-up, computer and fax call, they do start with a tone but then go into that "static" data stream. This is a repeating tone that never ends (even when I hang up, apparently "they" have to end the call).

Besides there being no reason to tap, as you pointed out, in addition to the "evidence" being more subtle they'd be able to do it without my ever knowing anything was up. And it's even less likely a non-governmental body or group would be doing this. Unless ....

No, just kidding.

I still haven't put the phone back on the hook, I just can't stand the thought of it bugging (ah-hem) me again, though I'll have to use the phone for plans this weekend.

I'm inclined to believe it's a computer somewhere that got hold of my number by mistake, though it's not trying to transmit any data so I'm not sure what the reason would be. Or someone pranking me, hope they give up soon. Or ... I'll have to postpone my diabolical plans until next weekend! <evil laugh>

Since King George did away with the constitution, they don't even need a court order. It just falls under the Homeland Hysteria Act.

Please remember that we don't want political posts at besttechie.net. This statement is quite critical of the American government.

Thank you for your anticipated understanding.

Could be ET trying to phone home. And got your number mixed up with the mothership. :lol:

Or a forgotten girlfriend's young one looking for daddy, and to nervous to talk :o

Could be ET trying to phone home. And got your number mixed up with the mothership. ... :lol:

:lol:

... Or a forgotten girlfriend's young one looking for daddy, and too nervous to talk :o

:(

I have gotten pranked before; a girl screaming how much she loved me and wanted to have my baby (she should be so lucky), the pizza delivery prank (never understood how that was supposed to do anything but cost pizza joints money), and one that was probably not a prank, a guy screaming he'd burn my house down (I was to testify against someone in court -- it was probably him or his cohorts, he was that dumb -- this was before call-back or capture services were available).

The phone's back on the hook since yesterday, one friend called ("You're phone's working again?") and one hang-up, SO FAR.

I would get many prank calls due to a change in phone number. A drug dealer used to have my new number. His friends were morons. A simple air horn soon discouraged them. It must really hurt the ears over a phone. I was getting calls from bill collectors, druggies, probation officer and his grandmother. After telling his grandmother to tell him that I didn't appreciate getting calls from his probation officer, drug buyers and bill collectors it didn't take him long to notify everyone that his number was different.. She must have been shocked to know what he was involved with.

You sure had an opportunity to mess around with people's heads there ... "Yeah, meet me at so-and-so park and wait for me, I have what you want." Of course, with those characters it wouldn't be prudent.

I've had a few wrong number calls where I was tempted to mess with them, but I never could keep a straight face (err, voice?).

• 2 weeks later...