You hear all the time that two anti-virus programs will conflict and cause problems, but I am not so certain about this. Why is it ok to run an anti-virus ans an anti-spyware program together. Most of them are running in real time side by side, without problems. How is this any different, I don't really think it is. Could this be a myth that perpetuated its selfs from the fact that two firewalls running together can cause problems?

I hear the computer guy, Peter Green, on Wis Public Radio talking all the time about running two AV programs at the same time and most of the time, there are no problems. I suppose that you can get conflicts with certain programs but you will probably have to experiment. I run AVAST and AVG and they work fine.

You don't want to run two because there is a chance that the definition files of one could be targeted by the other, thus conflicting with your protection. Anti-Spyware apps and Anti-Virus apps use different type of definitions, and are rigorously tested to work together. Most AV vendors won't test or develop their products to work along side other AVs.

You don't want to run two because there is a chance that the definition files of one could be targeted by the other, thus conflicting with your protection. Anti-Spyware apps and Anti-Virus apps use different type of definitions, and are rigorously tested to work together. Most AV vendors won't test or develop their products to work along side other AVs.

Yes, this is INDEED a reasonable explanation :) I was taught that you can have multiple AV's and AS apps, but that you should choose ONE AV and ONE AS to run as a "Real time Scanner", and use others for "On Demand Scanning". In the world ofd malware, you may have one AS or ONE AV that may *not* pick up a virus or a piece of spyware, and you may have to use additional software to remove it - Thats why its good to have them available, just don't run 2 AV's together realtime, or they can do as Matt said and conflict :)

Brian

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...