I found an extra copy I had bought of Win XP in my shelf and I decided to install it in a spare system with 512 MB of ram and a 850 MHZ processor, well installation was going smoothly until I ended up with the message "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is needed"

"Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK" I have tried selecting D:\I386 since that is the default, but it doesn't work and the other option it gives me is A:\ but I'm not sure what to type in it since I thought this was the letter for the floppy drive. I haven't seen this type of message before and have no idea what to do, can anyone help with some imput?

• 2 weeks later...
I found an extra copy I had bought of Win XP in my shelf and I decided to install it in a spare system with 512 MB of ram and a 850 MHZ processor, well installation was going smoothly until I ended up with the message "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is needed"

"Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK" I have tried selecting D:\I386 since that is the default, but it doesn't work and the other option it gives me is A:\ but I'm not sure what to type in it since I thought this was the letter for the floppy drive. I haven't seen this type of message before and have no idea what to do, can anyone help with some imput?

see if this helps

click here

• 1 month later...

ok I'm digging up this old thread because I wasn't able to test these solutions b4 since there was a pretty busy schedule. I've tried the solution suggested in the link, but when I type the regedit.exe comand I get the response "the system cannot execute the specified program"

Edited by intocomputing2
Did you format the hard drive first?

I think it is, what happens is that sometime ago I tried to install debian on this machine, but got stuck with an error regarding the Xorg configuration or something like that, I didn't want to have a system just hanging around without doing nothing, then while searching for a solution I found the extra copy of windows XP and decided to install it in this machine instead.

From what I remember, the xp installer does not work correctly if the disk is formatted with a linux file system. Try booting the system with a live linux cd, then use the program "cfdisk" to delete all linux partitions, this should leave the drive as unallocated. You may have better luck running the XP installer.