Linksys Wrt54g V.6 Crashes

I've got a Linksys WRT54G V.6 router that I use to share our internet connection with me and my 4 roommates. The thing constantly crashes (anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days uptime generally) and I have to either reset or unplug and start it back up, do quite a bit of reconfiguring to get back onto my ISP. I've seen online that this is a fairly common problem but can't seem to find a good solution. I've seen quite a bit about using 3rd party firmware and was wondering if that was a true solution or anything else.

Current setup:

Internet: 512kb HPNA (sortof DSLish, comes through the phoneline to an adapter which is conneted to the router). Crappy I know, but it's whats provided with the apartment. Looking to upgrade

Computers:

1 MacMini (Ethernet)

1 WindowsXP (Ethernet)

4 Laptops, I believe 3 XP and 1 Vista

Newest Linksys Firmware on router; v1.02.2, Jun. 7, 2007

Not sure about traffic; mostly school documents, general browsing, probably some bittorrent or other P2P from other roommates

I know next to nothing about networking so if you need anymore information that I haven't provided please ask.

I don't know the answer, but our Linksys would need rebooting every time my hubby did "power downloading" during the night. I'd wake up to a locked up net connection. Our solution was for me to disconnect the power to it for a reboot. He did do something to configure it after I whined a bunch, but the bugger now drops out in hot weather. He says it probably a cold solder connection. We are on cable, so I don't know why you have to do all the ISP stuff.