Disk Defragment For Vista

I don't know how many have discovered that defragmenting Vista can be a long chore. But I have been using a third party disk defragmenter that works very well and takes little time to run.

auslogics - disk-defrag

It's free and works great.

Just disable Vista's defrag. and your set to go.

Mmmm. normally Vista is set to do early morning defrags. Yes it is a silent running in the background thing. But just try doing it manually once.. It keeps going and going and going.

I recommended Auslogic to another place and got good response (so thanks, Jsky!) AND a terrific tip!

"I used Auslogics on my Win 2000 drive from your recommendation. It does seem faster. It also defrags differently, so after the Win defragger was done, leaving 13% fragged, I used the Auslogics and got it down to 3% fragged, I then used the Win 2000 defragger again and got it down further. Seems using them alternately helps get a tight drive. "

Kudos to Heatpro at Handyman's

Liz

Kudos to Heatpro at Handyman's

Liz

I use that Handyman site quite often to find out how to do some things around the house. Very helpful info. I never got past the plumbing or appliance section, so I did not realize it had a computer section.

Thanks JSKY for the info on Auslogic, I might give it a try, as I like seeing it do defrag, not like in Vista.

Barb

I, too like to see that "thermometer" so it looks like Windows is actually doing something! I even use the thermometer when I update Windows....guess I just need that "blankey" That's why I swiped Jsky's info and passed it on to the other old coots :D The "kid" at Handyman's has a thread called "Vista" where he's giving his opinions on it.

Pat/Sidekickcat actually introduced me to Handyman's and it has a neat gardening section, too....that's how I became involved there--someone asked a question I could actually answer! :thumbsup: I'm so much better at geraniums than I am at computers...........:D

Liz

• 2 months later...

I was going to try out Auslogics Disk Defrag untill I ran across this site.

Insights and Rants: The Great Defrag Shootout: all the defragmentation utilities I can find

I decided to try JkDefrag and it works great! Requires no installation or you can get the installer.

The JkDefrag Forums

• 1 year later...

I like MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) no install/ command line.

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/JkDefrag/JkDefrag.html

This is the most complete defrag i have ever had had. Plus you can keep it son a jumpdrive and take it to granny's house and fix her bogged down PC