PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

I'm thinking about formating my computer but when I format my computer out of the 160GB Drive I bought I can only use 127GB's I want it ALL and when I install Windows XP Pro again should I get the SP1 than SP2 or just go for SP2 and after that I will install my anti Virus BUT should I install my firewall it's a Zone Alarm Pro or just stick to the one SP2 gives me? and also I like to use my BOOTSCREEN so should I install StylesXP or do I not need it?

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

I'm thinking about formating my computer but when I format my computer out of the 160GB Drive I bought I can only use 127GB's I want it ALL and when I install Windows XP Pro again should I get the SP1 than SP2 or just go for SP2 and after that I will install my anti Virus BUT should I install my firewall it's a Zone Alarm Pro or just stick to the one SP2 gives me? and also I like to use my BOOTSCREEN so should I install StylesXP or do I not need it?

First off I would think out of 160 you should get more than 127,but it could be the way you have it partitioned.

I would skip SP1 as SP2 will have all the SP1 updates.

Are you on cable or a network??

If you are I would go with a router that has a firewall built in.

If not then disable the XP wall and install ZA pro.

As for the boot screen personally I see no need for them.

One way is keep the number of partitions to a minimum.

A router with a hardware firewall is the way to go IMHO.

I have not been a fan of LARGE hard drives because if the drive goes every thihg goes.

I run two drives now one 40 and one 20 more space than I need for a long time.

I only create one partition when asked so why is it 127 out of 160 GB's? and in the BIOS it says 160 GB's

I think that is part of the formatting process in NTFS, you don't get all of the hard drive space even if you have a 160 GB drive. I heard Leo Laporte mention that once.

I agree with tenmm a hardware firewall is the way to go. I like the idea of having a box between myself and the Internet.

it looks like when you are formatting you are hitting the 132 gb limit. what are you using to format? xp should see the whole drive. maybe a bios update... i would use the xp install disk, delete existing partitions then create new ones.

brax

• 5 months later...

you may need the drive manufacturer software to get the full amount of space on your drive, although I agree with tenmm about using 2 drives, the second as a backup. I use sygate firewall and they have a test site that checks your firewall.

sygate

Hi X-Cannon

The reason for you only getting 127G is that you need SP1 or SP2 for the LBA upgrade (Large Block Addressing). Once SP2 is installed, your computer will recognize the full disk amount.

No need to get SP1, just go directly to SP2 as it contains all the updates that SP1 incorporates and all the new ones that came after SP1 was released. The Service Packs are cumulative which means that you only need to get the latest release to get ALL the patches that have been released.

The Windows Firewall has been in XP since XP's initial release, it wasn't just put in with SP2. SP2 only brought the firewall up front for most users as they didn't know how to access it, so MS made the Security Center which makes the XP firewall easier to access and use.

I wouldn't use it tho as it is only a 1 way firewall, it only blocks inbound connection attempts and doesn't do anything about outbound, so use ZA or any other good software firewall along with your router.