I finally got an external enclosure for my old lappy's hard drive. Well, I can access my dad's folder cause his wasn't password protected but I can't access mine since it was. The guys at the repair shop said there was a free program that I could download that would give me access so I can recover my stuff. Does anybody have any clue what this program is or of any program that does it? (They wouldn't tell me at the shop otherwise they wouldn't have made any money from recovering my notes)

Thanks for any help!

*Hooked it up to my lappy (Main rig has XP, lappy has Vista Basic) and it turns out Vista has a built ability to change permissions like this. Now I have full access to my old lappy's stuff.

** OK nevermind, I can ACCESS most of the stuff but a lot of it I can't copy to my current laptop's harddrive. Some will transfer but other's will say You need to permission (which I should have), a few work and others keep saying I need permission : Try Again, Skip, Cancel. If I do skip it goes to the next file then the next file then the next file and won't transfer any of them. if I do cancel it just stops. If I do try again, the box just pops back up saying the exact same thing.

SO I guess I still need that program.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Another easy method you can use is to boot your system with bartpe. Just boot your system with it. Then just copy the directory you need to access to a new location. When you reboot windows, the files that you copied to the new location can be accessed. You can also boot in safe mode, then you have access to the security tab. This will allow you to change the permissions manually.

actually, I figured it out in Vista. It's a pain in the @$$ though. I have to go through and switch the permissions on each and every folder one at a time.

I read you already got it. I was just posting some other methods that work. I personnelly like using the bartpe method. You just have to copy the files, no need to have to change any permissions.

that was the prob, I was trying to copy them and it wouldn't let me saying I didn't have permission to. I just right clicked, when to the security tab, clicked the button, clicked my account name, then checked the box and hit ok. For most files checking that box switched all files and floders within that folder to my new lappy's ownership but some didn't so after changin permissions on the main folder, I'd have to go into the sub folders and change them. Lucky for me only a couple did that. It didn't take very long. I got everything recovered that I wanted and formated the drive. It's now my external drive for video transfer between my main rig and the lappy (and maybe occasionally my friend's lappy if she ever wants more vids than a 2gb flash drive can't handle)

I oh see what you mean now. Just copy them with the bartpe thing. Ok missunderstood you but yeah if I have a prob like theis again, I'll try that.

Edited by Honda_Boy