No No Nooooooooo

39 degrees Outside right now.... And they are saying S N O W :blink: by morning.

It's cold out and it looks and smells like it. Kinda expect to see it tonight. Always kinda like the first snow......

BUT NOT THIS EARLY

Been covering plants and bringing in a mess load of planters. They are calling for F R O S T also tonight. Tomatos are half ripe. Hope they are covered good enough. :(

But, I have the woodburner going and it's getting nice in the house.

WOW

I'm not even ready for this..... :huh:

If snow hits here early I am ready. Both trucks have been winterized. I only have a few windows left to caulk and fix the side steps on the house. Both the boiler and furnace are ready. The only thing I need to buy is a new shovel as soon as they appear at the hardware store. Last years February storm did a job on my other shovels.

Got down to 32 outside early morning. But no snow!!! It did frost. The roof has a layer on it. But blue skys outside now.

Now to see what plants never made it.

Wish I was in your shoes TT. I have about 2/3s of my supply of wood in. And I'm not even close to start winterizing anything around here. Better start on the winter check list and figure out what needs to get done.

39 degrees Outside right now.... And they are saying S N O W :blink: by morning. ...

Darned man-made Global Warming!

I'm surprised by how quickly colder weather's creeping up on us all (well, for those of us who HAVE colder weather).

That "global warming" is keeping Lake Ontario warmer giving us the big wet and heavy snowfalls. It's been quite awhile since we have seen the lake freeze giving us the -20 to -30 temps for several days at a time with light snow flurries.

That "global warming" is keeping Lake Ontario warmer giving us the big wet and heavy snowfalls. It's been quite awhile since we have seen the lake freeze giving us the -20 to -30 temps for several days at a time with light snow flurries.

You guys really need more lake effect snow. I guess the few storms a year are not worth complaining about(compared to you)

You guys really need more lake effect snow. I guess the few storms a year are not worth complaining about(compared to you)

I want to see us beat last years dumping. It has been many years since we were snowed in for more than a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Well, Jsky, you got warmer than we did today...high of 65 and rainy all day. And looking at the forecast, as usual, after Labor Day, Summer rolls up the sidewalks just like our town.

I think we all need to throw snowballs at Hondaboy for bragging and Shanenin for his "more lake effect snow" comment :D;):thumbsup:;):D NOT looking forward to Winter.

Liz

Blim, Ive got a friend of a freind that recently moved down from Michigan. This was his second summer down here. One day (about 7 days in to our two week 100+ streak) he looked fairly ill. I asked what was wrong. He said he was sick of the heat. He didn't understand how anyone could live down here... I told him wait for our "winter" to come. No drivng, shovely, walking, talking, slipping etc... in snow ;):P

He quickly got the picture

Edited by Bubba Bob
Blim, Ive got a friend of a freind that recently moved down from Michigan. This was his second summer down here. One day (about 7 days in to our two week 100+ streak) he looked fairly ill. I asked what was wrong. He said he was sick of the heat. He didn't understand how anyone could live down here... I told him wait for our "winter" to come. No drivng, shovely, walking, talking, slipping etc... in snow ;):P

He quickly got the picture

Driving in snow is easy once you're used to it. I love throwing on my snowshoes and going for a stroll through the woods. I'll take shoveling over sweating my butt off mowing a lawn all year. Just think in the winter there are no bugs to bug you. There's nothing like sipping a mug of hot chocolate next to the woodstove. It's a shame many people don't get to enjoy all of the seasonal changes. :thumbsup:

Hey JSKY, old friend:-) It is 55 degrees up here north of the border. It has been a bit foggy in the morning and sunny, warm in the afternoon. Our rainy season hasn't started............yet.

I hope you can avoid the snow for a little longer. :)

Driving in snow is easy once you're used to it. I love throwing on my snowshoes and going for a stroll through the woods. I'll take shoveling over sweating my butt off mowing a lawn all year. Just think in the winter there are no bugs to bug you. There's nothing like sipping a mug of hot chocolate next to the woodstove. It's a shame many people don't get to enjoy all of the seasonal changes. :thumbsup:

Been driving in snow and ice every Winter for over thirty years and had very few problems (knock wood :blush: ). Never got stuck to where I couldn't drive out of it (just remembered a time I high-centered at the end of my driveway, thought I could drive through what the snow plows left there, had to shovel it out from under the car), near as I can remember only two minor fender-benders caused by weather conditions (one of which involved only my vehicle). There were some tense moments, either very deep snow, very slick ice, or extrememly limited visibility. While each event is memorable they don't occur very often (like, five times? ten? over the course of thirty plus years and hundreds of thousands of miles driven?). Frankly I bet there are far more scary moments in total driving in plain ol' day-to-day traffic.

I do love what snow does to the landscape, just beautiful. Haven't gone for hikes or snowmobiling in a while, but I wouldn't rule them out. Just dress appropriately and "cold" -- isn't (what would you say to someone who wore a heavy coats in desert climes and complained about the heat? yet people walk around in minimal clothing in cold weather, complain they don't like the cold, and people nod their heads in agreement).

Shoveling vs mowing? Hmm, a tossup. Both suck.

There's something about hunkering down all warm and snug whilst the wind blows outside that's comforting in a primal way.

So far so good, got a couple of days of high 60s to low 70.

But the frost warnings are in for the next two nights. High of 58 today. High 20s to low 30s for tonight. Talking in the mid 50s for the next two days.

Scrambling to get in more wood.

Liz; I think the way it's going, I'll have that snow before to much longer. And then I'll ship a box or two down to both Hondaboy for bragging and Shanenin for his "more lake effect snow" comment :lol:

hitest; I'm right in the same pattern your getting there. You sure were not closer to each other then the map shows.

Here where I'm at, you buy a 4 wheel drive if you want to get around in the winters.And darn good snow tires. Been driving these roads for many years and been stuck more then once..... Even on a snowmobile. :o . A couple of years back we got one snowfall that was 108 inches. It's kinda neat... Look out the top of the window and see this level blanket of snow. You can't even tell if there is a car parked out there.

As for getting the snow out of the way... I have a snowblower... Yes, us people up north have a machine for blowing snow. :blink:

So snow or grass. I have to push something around.... LOL it's never ending.

Sunday's low is suppose to be 38 #$@^%$ degrees 50 miles south of us, so y'know it'll be colder than that here. I changed the channel when the Weatherguesser said that because he was SMILING of all things....(grrrrrr, I never met Craig James but if I ever do I'll be tempted to slap that smile off his face!)

But then we're in for a stretch of Indian Summer. Just hope I don't have to spend that stretch dealing with frostkilled tomato and pepper plants as most of the yellow peppers are still green

Oh, I hope we don't get an early winter. I will NOT rake leaves in the snow...that just ain't right.

Liz

I do not rake leaves. I mow over them and let the mulching attachment on the blade disperse them. Mowing over the falling apples and pears is a pain. Usually the squirrels clean them up fairly well but last year they were slackers. :D

When we get those 100+" dumpers I call in one of my friends with a backhoe to push and mound the snow. I have a single stage snow blower on the piece of junk rider that couldn't blow anything over 3" of wet heavy stuff. It takes me longer to start the darn rider than it does for me to shovel. I actually enjoy shoveling up to a point. This year I am going to hire someone with a plow to keep me cleaned up if anything near a foot of wet, heavy stuff falls. Next year I will buy an old 4-wheel drive with plow just for keeping me cleaned out.

I do not rake leaves. I mow over them and let the mulching attachment on the blade disperse them. ...

That's what I've always done in the past. Didn't even own a rake 'til someone stored the contents of his father's garage in mine and it eventually became my prob ... err ... my stuff.

That rake's come in handy though since the neighbor's pine trees started dropping kajillions of needles, which smother and kill the grass, so, to save the lawn I rake the needles back under the trees. Oh yeah, and occasionally (like last year) there are too many leaves dropping or blowing into my yard AFTER it's too cold to mow, so I rake them off the lawn.

I don't rake MY leaves (they get mowed/mulched) but my parents have two humongous oak trees next door to them and I rake theirs because their city is picky and Dad's a Yardo. Tons and tons of leaves.... <_<

JDoors, I never saw The Weatherman but remember the commercials--looked funny! Shoot, I think the last movie I watched was Alladin....once the kids got their licenses, my movie viewing became non existant.

Liz