[solved] How Can I Set Up File Sharing Between 2 Computers?

I have 2 computers, both running WinXP Home. Is there a way to set up both of them to share files without much hustle? what's the limit for the size of a file to be transfered? Thanks in advance

Not hard at all. I assume both computers are connected to the same router?

No file size limit BTW.

First

Go to Control Panel > My Network Places > View Work Group Computers

Hopefully you will see the other computer in this window. If not...

Go to Control Panel > My Network Place > Set Up Network and follow the steps.

Do that on both computers. Be sure both computers are assigned to the same workgroup!!!! (in otherwords, leave the default settings)

After youve done that, go back to "View Workgroup Computers". Hopefully now you can see the other computer. If so, click this.

If not, hmm...

Edited by Bubba Bob

After following your instructions Bubba I went to "view workgroup computers" and I can see the second computer there. I also tried the option "view workgroup computers" in the second pc but instead I received the message:

"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found"

I'm the computer administrator in both systems, is there anything else I should change for this to work?

P.S. As an extra detail when I was finishing running the network set-up wizard in both computers the second PC asked me to restart the system (this is the PC with the error message) the first PC didn't ask me to do so, but I did it anyway

Edited by intocomputing2

Gah, now here comes the fun part...

First disable all firewalls.

Then run the "Netowkr Setup Wizard" again on both computers.

If that still doesnt work, ping each computer from the other computer to see if they can even see each other.

Then come back with teh results :D

I shut down both firewalls completely, and I still receive the same error, how do I "ping' each computer from the other?

Type "Inconfig" into the command prompt. Find your "IP Address". Take that IP address to the other computer and type "Ping (insert IP here)" into the command prompt.

Do that for both PCs.

What do you get?

EDIT:

Hopefully someone "more better" at this stiff than I will come along shortly.

Edited by Bubba Bob

have you shared a folder on the computer you want to access? it sounds like you have not.

To share a folder do the following

1. create a folder

2. r-click on the folder, and choose "sharing and security"

3. depending on your setup, you can then just check a box to share that folder, or you may have to click on the link the says "if you understand the security risks, but wnat to share files without running the wizard click here" click it.

4. another box will pop up. Make sure you check "just enable file sharing". then click ok

5. now you should be able to check "share this folder on the network", you may also want to check "allow network users to change my file"

Now you should not get access denied errors since you have set up a directory(folder) for network users to access

Now I am not so certain. I have been experimenting with my pcs with mixed results. I was getting access errors, so I created a folder, then I was able to view that pc. I then deleted the shared folder, but was still able to see if any shared printers were available on the pc. Windows file sharing seems quirky sometimes.

I'm confused, file sharing seems to have finally been set up properly, I can play files from one computer in the other, and they all show up, but when I try to move any file from computer to the other I can't, and instead I get the error:

"cannot create [name of file here]or replace access is denied"

"make sure disk is not full or write protectd"

Edited by intocomputing2