No No nO NO!

It will kill your Ie browser. I even contacted m$ and they said reinstall xp...

Stay safe and stay away.......

I have sp2 and it hasn't killed my IE, my wife uses it all the time as does my son. I even use it from time to time. I don't know how old your info is cgm, but that is totaly incorrect. i have never heard of IE being killed except while it was in the beta mode when people were getting it with the unfixed bugs at the beginning. :ph34r:

Just wanted to add my experience's ( briefly ) of the SP-2 install.

1. On the Desktop (main unit ) i'm on now.

Ordered Disk (Free) from M$. Got up the courage to install , well , on reboot she locked up and I had nothing. Finally got it to boot, no Lan, no Dualboot sys. etc. Couldn't get to Sys. Restore. Finally had to do clean install of XP-PRO. Ofcourse had to re-setup every thing. Ok everything (after a couple of day's) running good. Well I re-setup Auto Update's and forgot it, wasn't going to fool with it anymore.

Came in my computer Rm. one morning (about a wk. later) and damn if it (SP2) hadn't downloaded overnight. Was running fine with the exception of some Firewall setting's involving my Lan set-up. Fixed them and all's well ?????

2. Since then and as recently as yesterday, I've used the Disk to install Sp2 on (4) machines . All went slick as a breeze . I might add , used it with and without an SP1 install. One machine was an IBM Laptop ( no prob. ).

Doubt this will help you, I kinda think it all depend's on which way the wind is blowing and if you been a googd boy ???

I'm typed out, jimmy

When SP2 first went into "general release" I ran a poll over on G4 asking folks if they had problems.

For every YES(had problems) there were 3 NO(just fine) votes.

I'd bet a lot of NOs didn't bother to vote.

Another poll referred to in the link below had 1 YES for every 9 NO.

This G4 Thread has a good section on "safely" updating to SP2.

Your all wrong! I installed it from the cleanest of installs! I just freshly reinstalled xp from the restore disks.

Followed all the steps got the cd from m$ free in the mail.

Now ok it makes your IE not work in a certain place. Try this try to download a ebook that uses IE it wont load.

The reason is SP2!!!!

Go ahead try a ebook I'll even host one just to show you.

Its not ready yet id wait. Just my experience. If you will ever rely on your pc for reading a ebook stay away from sp2 its not ready.

Now other than my IE not working right im ok with it. No other side effects.

now how can i be wrong.... maby im just one of the lucky ones. everything worked fine when i installed sp2. maby because i followed all the steps or cause i installed it the first thing i did was get the updates ,then i installed it. just call me lucky .......STAY SAFE

No problems here from day one on home PC.....The company I work for had some problems with applications not working, so at work on my laptop I have a company version of SP2...All they did was disable the security center. They don't want us doing auto updates here....Basically SP2 just seems like rollup of SP1 patches with a security center added in....(I'm sure they changed tons in the backround ) but I would not be afraid...

It seems to me that it varies person to person. I say, back everything up in case you get unlucky and it goes wrong. I also say that if you've just done a clean install, go for it, you've got nothing to lose. That's what I did anyway.

Your all wrong! I installed it from the cleanest of installs! I just freshly reinstalled xp from the restore disks.

Followed all the steps got the cd from m$ free in the mail.

Now ok it makes your IE not work in a certain place. Try this try to download a ebook that uses IE it wont load.

The reason is SP2!!!!

Go ahead try a ebook I'll even host one just to show you.

Its not ready yet id wait. Just my experience. If you will ever rely on your pc for reading a ebook stay away from sp2 its not ready.

Now other than my IE not working right im ok with it. No other side effects.

good grief..calm down..you have every right to share your experience and opinion..but to say that "..Your all wrong!" is over the top..and perhaps you should do a bit more investigation of why your ebook and ie are having trouble..if you follow the link in my post..you'll see that pete recommends that you should check all your ie settings after sp2 installs..

wayne :unsure:

I agree with what Screi says. I've installed SP2 on at least 6 different machines (including a few laptops) and none of them have had the problems that some say it gives.

Just remember that before making any large changes like that to your computer, you should back up all your important data in case for some reason, something goes wrong.

should I or not????

Hi X-Cannon. Sure you could install SP2. Every read that thread called "repair xp search"? now, im not saying the was sp2's fault, but after it installed that's when I noticed it. Hey, B even says to install it, and I kept it on mine. Sure install it. But keep things backed up. lol I doubt you'll have prblems. It all depends on the computer.

M@

No look at my second post! Im sorry im not that way Im just mad at the fatheads at m$!

Im sorry I just meant about your browser being fine. Im not a tech idiot. I tried the settings....

Sorry again guys hope you forgive and forget cows running his keyboard.

Sorry people and have I said sorry yet?

Thansk CGM3

should I or not????

I like the upgrade. I installed SP2 on my work XP unit. It went fine.

The only strange thing that I noticed was that windows will no longer recognize my version of Norton AV, that is, I can't set NAV to run automatically at a certain time. However, I can manually scan my computer with NAV so it's not a biggy.

No major glitches encountered.