Question Using Xp On A Mac

I recieved this e-mail asking some questions about XP Prefetching on partitions created with BootCamp (1.4) on MacBookPro(s).

You all are some of the best I know of. So I am copying the e-mail here.

I answered some of the questions. But I am no Mac guy.

I e-mailed him the link to BTs and told him that you all would be more qualified to help in this instance.

Hi,

I've read your article about XP Prefetching when I googled to understand my problems. First of all I would like to congratulate you for a job well done and say thankx for sharing these info. Second, I apologize for writing directly but I have a problem which I hope can be of interest to you.

So, I'm writing now as I wonder if you know about any issues XP Prefetching might have on partitions created with BootCamp (1.4) on MacBookPro(s). Here it is why I'm asking: I had some crashes while running Windows on a MacBookPro (newest model, 4 GB RAM) and when I scan the disk I've got some file allocation problems with (know that I know) prefetch files. I've decided to re-install a fresh copy of Windows and when I've checked again (with chkdsk) same issues were reported (corrupted file allocation for .pf files). After I've read your article I've removed all of them and started one program at a time: cmd and chkdsk. The result was that both pf files were reported as having issues with file allocation. Deleted the layout.ini file too and the pf files were still created and were having same issue. I've disable prefetching (by stopping task scheduler as I didn't know what value to set in registry for EnablePrefetcher), rescan the disk and all is well now (except that programs load slower)...

May I ask you please:

* what value shall I set for EnablePrefetcher to disable XP Prefetching?

* is the report from chkdsk 'true'? Is it any problem with XP Prefetching on MacBookPro in BootCamp partitions that you are aware of?

Once again, many thankx for your time!

Cheers,

Laurentiu

Thanks guys

JSKY

This may be better answered by a windows expert. Boot-camp just partitions and formats the hard drive space and includes drivers for hardware support. Once installed you have a windows machine like any other windows machine with the Mac os never touching the windows os. The only thing i can think of that may cause a problem is that the mac does not use a bios like windows machines. The mac is using EFI Extensible Firmware Interface so my guess is part of boot-camp is emulating a standard BIOS that windows understands. This would probably only be used during windows startup.

The best place to get a answer would be the mac support discussion forums. BootCamp support

Thanks

I'll forward the info.

I knew I'ed get a good answer. You're the better ones to know. :thumbsup:

Maybe the answers I gave him for the Prefetch is what he needed.