Setting Up My Brand New Macbook: "select A Wireless Service"

Hey! So I finally got a Macbook, and I am setting it up now. I am in the very early stages and already had some questions.

I am ignorant of all things MAC, and I am terrified of making a permanent mistake during the initial setup that will affect me for the life of the computer. My manual is all in Japanese, and I can understand maybe 7% (being optimistic here, guys)

I am about 4 screens in, at the "select a wireless service" screen. All of the options I select require a password, that I do not have.

I do not have wifi at home, and want to use my cable modem at home. But I want to be able to use wireless hot spots when I go out and about.

Can I set it up with a cable modem initially but still be able to use my wireless capability around town?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey! So I finally got a Macbook, and I am setting it up now. I am in the very early stages and already had some questions.

I am ignorant of all things MAC, and I am terrified of making a permanent mistake during the initial setup that will affect me for the life of the computer. My manual is all in Japanese, and I can understand maybe 7% (being optimistic here, guys)

I am about 4 screens in, at the "select a wireless service" screen. All of the options I select require a password, that I do not have.

I do not have wifi at home, and want to use my cable modem at home. But I want to be able to use wireless hot spots when I go out and about.

Can I set it up with a cable modem initially but still be able to use my wireless capability around town?

Thanks!

first of all if you do not haev a wireless network at home, then do not worry about it at this time. go to what is equivalant to a control panel and select network connections, and set up the connection to your cable modem.

now for the wifi, use the radio and when you are at a wifi hot spot, search for a hot spot, and connect.

some wifi hotspots are not free, and that would be why it will ask for a password. if you are finding wifi hot spots near your home, the reason for asking for a password is the people that have them close to you have the wep activated.

I figure he has had this setup for weeks now. I didn't notice this post until a week after it was posted, I apologize for that. It doesn't really matter what he chose when he did the initial set up they ask mainly to register the mac and applecare. The mac will connect to whatever is available if he plugs in a ethernet cable it will just use that if a wifi shows up and the airport is on it will ask for a password (if needed).

The "control panel" equivalent is called System Preferences and for manual network settings click on Network.