Hey guys, I just bought a car (used 2002 mazda protege).

But, theres a problem. See, the radio doesnt even turn on (so, I cant even see the time nor can i even play CD).

and the lights on top of the car doesnt work. (the ones that come on when ur door is open)

I know i'm not knowledgeable enuff to fix it, so, I was wondering what kind of store should I go to?

My zipcode is 30126 and I Know i have advanced auto parts near my house.

This sounds like a possible bad fuse for the radio. There should be a fuse panel somewhere under the dash. Should be labeled. The dome light may also be a fuse or a bulb. Both should be available at Advance auto

oh wow, its that easy?

alright, i'll drop by advanced auto parts tmrw after school.

If it is a bad fuse, how much are new ones?

Pennies.

Better yet. Break out your owners manual and locate your fuse box. The manual will also contain a list of the fuses and what they do. So, figure out which one controls the radio and see if it's burnt out.

Extremly simple procedure.

Edited by Bubba Bob
So,I went to advanced auto parts today.

And asked for a free fuse check.

the lady told me, she don't even know what that is and they don't even offer the service.

:blink:

LOL!!! Hehe, oops.

Oh well, start checking the fuses your self then. Its something you need to know how to do. It's not unheard of to b low a fuse while goin done the road. Blow a headlight fuse at midnight in the middle of no where... then what? :wacko:

So,I went to advanced auto parts today.

And asked for a free fuse check.

the lady told me, she don't even know what that is and they don't even offer the service.

:blink:

LOL!!! Hehe, oops.

Oh well, start checking the fuses your self then. Its something you need to know how to do. It's not unheard of to b low a fuse while goin done the road. Blow a headlight fuse at midnight in the middle of no where... then what? :wacko:

911? haha j/p.

ya, time to read the manual!

wow, that lady is stupid. Back in the day when I had a 1985 Pontiac Sunbird and thought I had a blown fuse I took it to Advance and the dude grabbed a tester and walked right out to my car and tested every last fuse in the thing. Now I know how to check them myself (I've had to change a few on my hatch). It's not hard. You just pull out the fuse and look in the center and make sure the the metal piece is still in one piece. If it's melted and has a gap then it's blown. Usually there is a diagram of the fuse box that tells what fuse is what right on the cover of the box.

You might wanna go to O'Reilly Auto Parts, Car Quest, NAPA, or god forbid, AutoZone, and see if they do it. I've come to find out in my town, the O'Reilly people usually know better what they are doin than the Advance kids so I tend to go there more often. Sometimes I swing by NAPA but O'Reilly is usually a little more convenient.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Howdy, better than that get a what they call a test light ( they are cheap), clip one end to a ground and check both sides of fuse, if light comes on-on both side its current is good, if not its bad.

The first thing I always do when I buy a vehicle is go and buy the Chiltons Repair manual for it.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_par...da/protege.html

The Haynes will do , but I find the Chiltons to be more inclusive and understandable .

Generally you can find them for a lot less than that price at an autoparts store or halfpricebooks.

These are invaluable both to let you know maintenance schedules and locations of things like your fuse box, but also for being able to do it yourself and troubleshoot an problem.

I would go with a bad fuse or lightbulb being the most likely as well as easiest to identify and fix.

You may need a magnifying glass to be able to see the filament , or a tester of some sort to check for current/ voltage at the locations. With the inner lights, if they come on when you turn them on from the light switch but not when you open the door, it is the switch in the door that is bad. With the radio check the fuse and if it is good, try a different radio.