First off, I should say smitfraud infections are great for my business. I get multiple calls a month based on people with smitfraud infections. Sometimes I do a full reload of windows, other times I just use smitfraudfix to clean them. I can't understand why nortan, mcafee, spyweeper, or other commercial programs are not able to remove it, but yet smitfraudfix removes it easily.

What exactly is a smitfraud infection? Smitfaudifx says it removes the following programs: AdwarePunisher, AdwareSheriff, AlphaCleaner, Antispyware Soldier, AntiVermeans, AntiVermins, AntiVerminser, AntivirusGolden, AVGold, BraveSentry, MalwareWipe, MalwareWiped, MalwaresWipeds, MalwareWipePro, MalwareWiper, PestCapture, PestTrap, PSGuard, quicknavigate.com, Registry Cleaner, Security iGuard, Smitfraud, SpyAxe, SpyCrush, SpyDown, SpyFalcon, SpyGuard, SpyHeal, SpyHeals, SpyLocked, SpyMarshal, SpySheriff, SpySoldier, Spyware Vanisher, Spyware Soft Stop, SpywareLocked, SpywareQuake, SpywareKnight, SpywareSheriff, SpywareStrike, Startsearches.net, TitanShield Antispyware, Trust Cleaner, UpdateSearches.com, Virtual Maid, VirusBlast, VirusBurst, among others.

All of the companies listed seem to be committing a crime of extortion. Why are the owners not being shutdown and be prosecuted for fraud? Are all of the paid versions of the above programs being paid to the same company or is this a bunch of different companies extorting people? I guess my question is what exactly constitutes a "smitfaud" infection?

SmitFraud Wiki

Adaware and antivirus cannot remove these files or registry keys because they load into RAM early in the boot process.Once a file containing a Smitfraud virus is in RAM, the virus program code is executed along with the file it is attached to, makes copies of itself, and the copies attach themselves to other files in Physical Memory RAM. A prime target for self proliferation by Smitfraud viruses are often the files that reside in the boot sector of the hard disk. The newly infected files are then saved (written) to the hard disk, diskette or anything else, in the normal course of the taking of the computer, and the attached virus program code remains a part of them. One solution is to boot with DOS or Linux, then remove the files, then afterwards remove the registry keys.

To protect against viruses, users should employ properly installed virus protection software, which scans RAM constantly and stops any procedure which may allow a virus to enter, and should write protect all diskettes, check all outside diskettes for viruses before trying to use them, and be cautious about where they download files from and accept files from on the Internet.