Wheelchair Woes

Hello All,

Well, I don't know what the heck happened or why, but last summer I had to replace the right side of my Quickie2 weelchair frame. This is my manual wheelchair. Took 2 weeks to order and replace the frame last time, and bent the hell out of the right hand wheel, so I had to have the frame replaced on that side.

This morning, I released the brake on the left side of the chair - I pushed it down a little hard by accident, and felt the chair move in a way that was strange. I thought to myself "Wait a second here, the only time I felt the chair do that was when".....and I looked down, to see that the LEFT side of the frame was broken at the weld: right on the connecting point that holds the front casters and footrests onto the chair. So I called repair this afternoon, reported to them that the left side of the frame was cracked, and they told me that they would send the tech out tuesday to pickup my chair to have this work done - the frame will be expressed to the shop, so I should have the chair fixed quickly - lucky for me, that the frame is a LIFETIME Warrenty item, and that it would be replaced at no charge by sunrise medical, who make my chair.

Of course, my Invacare Electric is sitting idle, and I had my charger burn out, and I have talked to an individal, who says she had one that I can trade for my other one. I have not been able to get hold of her, so I hope that I can do this before the battries on the Invacare go totally dead. They are like $250 each, and BIG Suckers - Meanwhile I will use the Rascal until she returns ;)

Damn, I hate when my equipment breaks down like this :(

Brian

on that charger, open it up and look inside and look at the fuses. there are 2 of them. on my grandmothers wheelchair, and it is an Inacare also and they told my uncle that we would have to rep-lace it also, but took it to an electric motor place and they opened it up and replaced the 2 fuses and it is working fine now.

I'm glad your doing OK Brian.

The only thing that could be worse is if it ran off of Windows. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll put on a call to Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor. Maybe he can "Tune it up for you". Arrr Arrr Arrr :D

Maybe I'll put on a call to Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor. Maybe he can "Tune it up for you". Arrr Arrr Arrr :D

Actually did that with my mother-in-law's when she burned out her motor. I had a slightly bigger dc motor sitting around. Hell on battery life,though. Glad to hear you have a back-up and you're up and around

Mark

You gotta quit doing wheelies, Brian ;)

Thank goodness you have backups, and thank goodness for warranties

Liz

hehehehehe Wheelies?? :matrix::thumbsup: I wish - this chair has had BOTH sides of the frame break - the only real place I have to do a wheelie is when I go up the ramp that is in the hall near my door in the hallway. Other then that, Quickie and other lightweight chairs have "Anti tip tubes." These tubes allow the chair to tip back only so far, and the reason I have them on is because if I didn't have them down and locked, I could easily FLIP the chair over backwards! That is why every Quickie Chair I own has this safety device :)

Brian

Hello All,

Well, I don't know what the heck happened or why, but last summer I had to replace the right side of my Quickie2 weelchair frame. This is my manual wheelchair. Took 2 weeks to order and replace the frame last time, and bent the hell out of the right hand wheel, so I had to have the frame replaced on that side.

This morning, I released the brake on the left side of the chair - I pushed it down a little hard by accident, and felt the chair move in a way that was strange. I thought to myself "Wait a second here, the only time I felt the chair do that was when".....and I looked down, to see that the LEFT side of the frame was broken at the weld: right on the connecting point that holds the front casters and footrests onto the chair. So I called repair this afternoon, reported to them that the left side of the frame was cracked, and they told me that they would send the tech out tuesday to pickup my chair to have this work done - the frame will be expressed to the shop, so I should have the chair fixed quickly - lucky for me, that the frame is a LIFETIME Warrenty item, and that it would be replaced at no charge by sunrise medical, who make my chair.

Today, My Tech arrived, and checked the damage. He knows that the frame is broken, and took the serial number. This will allow his parts team to order the proper frame to replace the broken frame. He pumped the Rascal's front tire, and said that when the frame comes in, he will be back to take the chair in order to replace the item and perform routine maintanence. Next time I send the rascal to Burlington, I will have the front tire changed, as it is bald :mellow:

All Set There :thumbsup:

Of course, my Invacare Electric is sitting idle, and I had my charger burn out, and I have talked to an individal, who says she had one that I can trade for my other one. I have not been able to get hold of her, so I hope that I can do this before the battries on the Invacare go totally dead. They are like $250 each, and BIG Suckers - Meanwhile I will use the Rascal until she returns ;)

Damn, I hate when my equipment breaks down like this :(

Brian

Talked to the lady that says that she has the charger I need. she will get it to me ASAP :)

Edited by baker7
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone:

My Quickie Chair Frame has been fixed, although the tech said that he was also going to replace the tires on the chair, at my request, because they are flat and bald - you normally replace tires 1-2 times a year, depending on use, so this should be no problem.

Just letting everyone know whats up ;)

Brian

Well, I have NOT yet had the tires and tubes replaced, but they are on order - when they do come in, the tech will replace them here at my reseidence, which will mean that I don't have to have the chair go back to Burlington, which is 1 hour away :)

Brian

• 1 month later...
Well, I have NOT yet had the tires and tubes replaced, but they are on order - when they do come in, the tech will replace them here at my reseidence, which will mean that I don't have to have the chair go back to Burlington, which is 1 hour away :)

Brian

I now have the new tires and tubes for the quickie chair, and had them replaced today. Dad will have to come down and fill my tires to full pressure, because the tech was using a hand air pump - I had him save the others in case of a bad tube or tire problem ;)

rolling on ;)

Brian