Setting Root Password In Ubuntu/kubuntu

If you need to run your Ubuntu/Kubuntu box as root you can do this by entering this at a shell prompt:

sudo passwd

You will be prompted to enter a new Unix password. Now you can log-in as root user in X windows. I must stress that this something that you should not normally do as you can damage your unit running as root user. It is safer to run your Ubuntu/Kubuntu box as a regular user and grant yourself root privileges as needed.

• 2 months later...
Will this require the user to enter a password in single-user mode?

I dunno, Matt. :D I haven't tried that.

I have been able to log-in as root in x windows in ubuntu.

This is a security draw back to linux in that anyone can get into your machine if they can get physical access to it (log-in as single user and change your root password).

Yes, it is a security drawback, but I'd say with any OS, if someone has physical access to the machine, they they will get in, either by third-part applications or booting from a live OS.

Agreed. True enough. I'll take Linux/Unix any day of the week over M$ though:-) IMHO it is better software! :matrix: Actually I'd say that Mac OS 10.5 software is on par with Linux/Unix:-)