Idiot Admin

For those of you who were on the forums last night around midnight EST, you might have noticed that they were either down or painfully slow. I can safely say that it was 100% my fault. :lol:

So, here's what happened. Last night, Jeff and I were working on one of Jeff's side projects. It involved php, and for a while, everything was going fine. Then, I hacked up a quick code snippet, it was about five or six lines. We uploaded it and tested it out, and those five lines completely consumed the server. Remember, BT is running on a pretty powerful box of its own, its not on shared hosting. MySQL jumped to about 97% of the server load, plus we still had the active forums running. It took Jeff about twenty minutes to remove the uploaded file and get in and kill and restart MySQL.

Fortunately, that fixed it.

So, I just wanted to let you all know what happened, and that you have a completely able Administration staff running BT that never messes up. :P You'll notice my new member title that I earned from this.

Yeah.... Matt let's not ever relive that, k? Ok. Sounds good!

But hey, at least we're dedicated right? I mean, who else would be up at midnight working on a project, break a server, fix it, and then live to tell the tale?

Not very many people. :P

B

But hey, at least we're dedicated right? I mean, who else would be up at midnight working on a project, break a server, fix it, and then live to tell the tale?

B

EXACTLY!! Now Matt, I didn't understand anything you wrote, but you folks fixed things, and that's what is important!

Liz

Glad you guys got it sorted out:-) I also learn about things the hard way by breaking my system and then having to try and repair the damage. I broke synaptic on my daughter's Ubuntu box because I added some repos incorrectly to her sources.list. A text editor is a great repair tool. :D

Taku <_< .... baka. :P Daijoubu. ;)

Ha! glad you sorted it out. Since TennSpeed (and my revived anime fandom), I've been kinda less prevalent around here so I guess I missed that prob. I was probably watchin anime the whole time this was going on :P

Sooooo. You two are turning into hackers now, huh......Don't you know you're not supposed to attack your own site... LOL

Ah! But what a better way to learn. I supposed now you both qualify for next years Black Hat party... LOL

Glad you did get it fixed... LOL Keep up the good work...

(Snickers to himself while posting)

Sometimes it's just better to keep your bugger hooks in your pockets and off the keyboard. Could a certain someone have been practicing for a career as Forum Master at G4?

Wooooow!!

Good one sethook!!

LOL!!!

Sometimes it's just better to keep your bugger hooks in your pockets and off the keyboard. Could a certain someone have been practicing for a career as Forum Master at G4?

Wooooow!!

Good one sethook!!

LOL!!!

LMAO :thumbsup:

As I understand it to be a Forum Master at G4 you need to be able to take a forum that is perfectly functional and then permanently destroy it with a poorly conceived upgrade.

Thankfully the BT Admin team has their act together. If anything breaks here they can fix it.......quickly:-)

Yeah.... Matt let's not ever relive that, k? Ok. Sounds good!

B

Dedication is indeed what personifies the BT Team - There have been nights that I stay up til 3am and then my brain is still working, and that usually happens when I have a really cool idea in my head. :D

Matt: Do not worry about it - we *All* Make mistakes, and the cool part is that when you noticed it, you worked together to solve the problem and took care of it - Thats what makes this team special ;)

Good Luck!!

Brian

Ummm....inserting code at that hour???

;)

That'll teach you.....remember the old addage.."If it ain't broke......"

(I should learn the rest of that saying someday)

The young-un's are playing with code now eh, leaving us older admin's to keep the place sane. Isn't it funny how one incorrect little snippet of code can make EVERYTHING go wonker-diddles? You probably sent it into a loopback that it couldn't get out of and normal traffic couldn't get authorized because all the cycles were used up in the loop right?

;)

Well, glad it's all sorted out 4 now, that is..until your Next "play around with server code" escapades, right guys!! ME?? I'll stick to playing with Hardware, it doesn't fight back....(as much)

You probably sent it into a loopback that it couldn't get out of and normal traffic couldn't get authorized because all the cycles were used up in the loop right?

;)

LOL, that's actually pretty close to what we think happened. I'm just glad that Jeff's fixing abilities are greater than my screwing-up abilities!

Could a certain someone have been practicing for a career as Forum Master at G4?
Hahaha, that'd be a long fall from this place!

You were man enough to take the heat. Can't say much more than that.

And for G4, you know if you went there a contract will be put on your head. LOL

JK

G4 is accepting Admin applications from the loony bin, no sorry, they are the loony bin.

M