Hi all,

New here, so forgive any improper behavior, not intentional.

equipment configuration:

2 XP home computers

1 network smart switch(hub)

1 dsl box

all devices connected to network switch.

Problem:

When I disconnect dsl box from the network (unplug) and reboot computers, my home network works great.

When I reconnect dsl box to the network and reboot (or PC reconfigures it's ip for internet connection), I lose all connectivity between PCs, can't even see them in network workgroup. (Though I can ping both computers from each other)

Tryed a ton of network wizard setups, ipconfig release and renew, and a bunch of nststat commands (refresh etc..), and reboots to no avail.

I did notice one quirk, the first octet for each PCs ip address is not the same (65 and 66), they were the same as far as I remember (65 and 65) since I installed the network, until these recent problems

This happened after I installed and uninstalled ACT! , ACT! loads msSQL and other stuff too, these were all uninstalled and removed.

(This may be coincidental)

Tearing out hair :wacko: , help will be HUGELY appreciated.

jbruced

Edited by jbruced

Welcome, and glad to have you.

When you say Smart Switch (hub) do you mean the Router?

First, try unplugging the hub and the DSL modem together. Wait 30 sec. and then plug them both back in. This should reset the DSL connection with the router.

Also, were you having problems before or after you installed ACT? If it was after you unintalled ACT, you could have unknowingly uninstalled components needed for connecting. Try creating a new connection

Welcome, and glad to have you.

When you say Smart Switch (hub) do you mean the Router?

First, try unplugging the hub and the DSL modem together. Wait 30 sec. and then plug them both back in. This should reset the DSL connection with the router.

Also, were you having problems before or after you installed ACT? If it was after you unintalled ACT, you could have unknowingly uninstalled components needed for connecting. Try creating a new connection

Hello and thank you for the reply.

Since my system works without the internet connected (through a paradyne dsl bridge/router that acts a direct connection according to my ISP), the dlink switch should be fully operational and virtually transparent to the system.

Tried unplugging everything at least 50 times, that's why I'm tearing my hair out ;) .

By the way, both PCs access the internet with no problem through the switch and router.

Appreciate your interest!

jbruced

Edited by jbruced

Nothing really makes sense. Every router I have ever seen, always assigns IP addresses on the 192.168.*.* range. The fact your PCs are getting addresses starting with 65 or 66 implies your dsl modem is not a router doing nat. You need a router doing nat for the setup you want.

Are both of your PCs setup to obtain an IP address using DHCP?

Interesting. He said he's connected to a switch (hub), not a router. Is the smart switch a router? Maybe he's using static IPs?

Yeah all NAT routers I've used have 192.168.xx as the default.

2 XP home computers

1 network smart switch(hub)

1 dsl box

Nothing really makes sense. Every router I have ever seen, always assigns IP addresses on the 192.168.*.* range. The fact your PCs are getting addresses starting with 65 or 66 implies your dsl modem is not a router doing nat. You need a router doing nat for the setup you want.

PCs are set up to automatically assign IP address.

There is a Paradyne dsl bridge/router (as listed on the label)

There is a dlink switch with 5 ports (used just to connect everything)

If I reboot with dls router disconnected, I get IPs starting with 169, and my network works perfectly.

Is the dsl router, or ISP for that matter screwing me up? I'm in the US Virgin Islands, and the ISP company is known for poor service.

Thanks!

jbruced

Yes both setup for DHCP

Both set to automatically obtain ip address. Don't know if ip is the issue here or not?

Still tearing hair out :wacko:

Thanks!

jbruced

From what I found on the web, that modem defaults to bridge mode. That means it is just passing through the ip address from your isp. That is why your computers are showing a 68.* ip address. You need to change the modem to router mode. You can do this using the web interface.

1. Plug your computer directly to the router using an ethernet cable.

2. enter the following address in your web browser http://192.168.1.1

3. The router should prompt you to enter a username and password. For both of these enter Admin note this is case sensitive.

4. under lan settings look around. Their is an option to enable your DHCP server. This will turn your modem into a router. Save your settings and everything should work.

From what I found on the web, that modem defaults to bridge mode. That means it is just passing through the ip address from your isp. That is why your computers are showing a 68.* ip address. You need to change the modem to router mode. You can do this using the web interface.

1. Plug your computer directly to the router using an ethernet cable.

2. enter the following address in your web browser http://192.168.1.1

3. The router should prompt you to enter a username and password. For both of these enter Admin note this is case sensitive.

4. under lan settings look around. Their is an option to enable your DHCP server. This will turn your modem into a router. Save your settings and everything should work.

Thanks for your effort.

Tried it all, may times, won't connect to router through http://192.168.1.1

jbruced

I found that info using a manual that amazon.com furnished. I may have the info for a slightly different model. I would unplug the dsl line and turn off your computer. Then power cycle the modem while the dsl line is still unplugged. Then turn on your computer. You may then be able to log in with that address.

I found that info using a manual that amazon.com furnished. I may have the info for a slightly different model. I would unplug the dsl line turn off your computer. Then power cycle the modem while the dsl line is still unplugged. Then turn on your computer. You may then be able to log in with that address.

Tried everything, direct to pc, with tel cable, w/o tel cable, through switch direct pc to router, reboot, reset switch, power off/on, will not connect (I found the manual online, says just what you said)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh

jbruced

I would contact your isp and tell them you are unable to log into the dsl/router(assuming you rent it). They may replace it for you. Another solution would be to purchase an inexpensive 4 port router.

by any chance, are you using a cross over ethernet cable?

I would contact your isp and tell them you are unable to log into the dsl/router(assuming you rent it). They may replace it for you. Another solution would be to purchase an inexpensive 4 port router.

Regular bought cables.

It worked fine with these cables before, so I don't beleive it's a cable issue.

I'll call ISP, and probably wait for 2 hrs on the phone. They are terrible here.

Thanks much for all you help!

Email ****Edited for safety**** if there's anything I can ever do for you.

jbruced

I removed your email address to keep the internet gremlins from gettin' you.

Mike

Edited by mikex

Regular bought cables.

It worked fine with these cables before, so I don't beleive it's a cable issue.

I'll call ISP, and probably wait for 2 hrs on the phone. They are terrible here.

Thanks much for all you help!

Email ****Edited for safety**** if there's anything I can ever do for you.

jbruced

I removed your email address to keep the internet gremlins from gettin' you.

Mike

I'm back with new info, I got connect to router/bridge (set up as bridge)

changed connection to dhcp and NO internet

this system worked before with same settings to the router, is it possibly IP changes by ISP?

jbruce

Edited by mikex

jbruce,

Welcome to besttechie.net. I remove your email address from your post. Members can contact you with a PM (private Message) if needed. Then you can give that person your email address if you want.

Crossover cables have a different color code at each end, if you didn't know. The 169. address is windows giving the address to itself. Windows is not getting an IP address from the hardware upstream from it, ie: switch, router. The router/modem from your ISP my only allow 1 IP address behind it, Get a router set it to DHCP, put the out from your ISP to the internet/WAN of the router. Now the computers on the network get LAN ports 1,2,3,or 4.

M

While 192 is by far the most common first octet for an internal network, there are others which are allowed

er.

127.0.0.1 - loopback address (Although the whole 127.0.0.0 - 127.255.255.255 range is really unusable)

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 - Class A non-routable

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 - Class B non-routable

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 - Class C non-routable

169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 - Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) Class B, and it's a Windows thing. You will be assigned an address in this range on Win2k and above DHCP clients that can't locate a DHCP server.

http://www.inetconcepts.net/hosting/faq-dns.html

I suspect you saw 169 not 65 as the first octet

And this means that when you just connect to the switch which does not have DHCP , windows takes over and assigns 169 addresses.

A switch is just to add ports to an existing switch on a router basically.

What you have is a DSL modem which is designed to connect to a ROUTER or to a single Computer (the router is in effect a computer which is set up to share its internet connection and manage connecting to an internet modem)

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networ...ridge_types.htm]

Black boxes explained, routers, switches, bridges etc.

Edited by Pete_C