You can get them here.

KB 938979

KB 938194

Microsoft still isn't commenting on when a beta of Service Pack 1 for Vista will be officially released (My money is on November), but the company has posted two updates that are expected to be part of that final package: the "performance and reliability" update and the "compatibility and reliability" update. These are official releases.

The "standalone updates" have been posted to Microsoft's support site, and users will need to validate their Vista installs via WGA to download them.

Explorer file transfer (copy/move) slowness looks to have been fixed (finally), hibernate and sleep now actually work as advertised and a load of video card support issues have been rolled up. For those of you keeping track, the MD5 hashes on these updates match those that were leaked last week.

KB 938979, aka the "performance and reliability" update, addresses "poor memory management performance," as well as a handful of specific issues, including a nasty problem installing printers when User Account Control is disabled. Also gone is the ever-so-annoying networking flaw that would strike TCP/IP dead after a computer wakes from hibernation, and offline file synchronization is reportedly fixed, according to the release notes.

The big kicker, however, is the "file transfer" problem, which Microsoft describes as follows:

When you copy or move a large file, the "estimated time remaining" takes a long time to be calculated and displayed.

Those of you who have run into this problem know it by its true description: "takes forever just to copy a few hundred megabytes of data!"

KB 938194, also known as the "compatibility and reliability" update, should probably be called the "now you can play games with your computer" update. It purports to address a handful of gaming-related problems, including compatibility issues with NVIDIA's G80 series of cards. The lame printer spooling bug that was afflicting many of you has also been addressed.

JSKY

Edited by JSKY
Add release date

Reporting on the latest updates.

Well, It made my Boot-up, and shutdown times faster. That's good... LOL

And the whole system seems to run smother and a little quicker. (not that I thought it wasn't quite this snappy before). But it is noticeable. :thumbsup:

As for all the other added goodies. I'll have to see how they affect things. Some of the new up-grades and enhancements might not be important to me because I have had no problems with any of my older hardware working. (Found drivers for all my goodies).

And I haven't played all that many games as of yet.

But if you read all the added features that come with these two updates, there are quite a few of them. I would have posted them. But, as I have said. There are quite a few new goodies.

Explorer file transfer (copy/move) slowness looks to have been fixed (finally), hibernate and sleep now actually work as advertised and a load of video card support issues have been rolled up. For those of you keeping track, the MD5 hashes on these updates match those that were leaked last week.

I noticed extracting a file with vista was painfully slow. I wonder if this update will affect that.

I believe that's what part of this update is supposed to fix shanenin.

Also I noticed that my system calmed down. Before the update, my hard drive seemed to never stop doing something, the light never stopped flickering. Now it just flickers every now and then like it did with XP. And my processor isn't active as much.

I'm glad I could help you out.

Updates.

1. Vista SP1 Beta Build 6001.16549 has been released to testers. Looking more and more set to be released in November. It's a 3.12Gig. set of updates... M$ still saying it might come on CD and not the download site because of the size.

2. XP SP3 has made it to testers also. Slated for release early 2008.

I d'loaded thes updates as Beta's about 2 weeks ago.

I noticed faster file transfers but I didn't have the real bad problem before that some users had with it. Every now and then I'd have an impossibly long file transfer or it would not move everything (reportedly) and then I couldn't access the original to try moving it again...that kinda stuff, and so far it seems to have fixed those issues. But I haven't done a whole lotta transfers since I installed it so I can't be certain it's fixed.

My bootups have been so painfully slow, that I just don't pay attention to it anymore...I start it and go do something for a few minutes and then come back to it. After my new RAM was installed tho, I've had a noticeable improvement in booting up :thumbsup:

I've found Vista to be ultra fast bootups in a fresh install, but a few security program installs and some other major installs (Like Roxio 9, MS Office..etc) it just slows to a crawl. Even tho I shut down most startups and other bloat, it's still slow booting up. Like over 2 minutes slow...sometimes 3, but I remember the days of half hour bootups, so I don't complain too loudly.. :whistling:

I'm sure I could tweak a few more seconds out of it, but it's no big deal to me as long as it's blazingly fast once it gets going, that's the important part!