My friend bought 1 gig of ram, 512x2. The memory does not show the correct amount. I swapped slots / mixed old and new / old and new in different slots...never the correct amount.

I used an eraser to clean the pins on the new ram. if one 512 is installed it shows as 192 in the BIOS. One 256 and one 512 shows 448. Two 256 or two 512 shows 448 in the BIOS.

Computer info:

Sony Viao

PCG K25

Factor RAM:

256 X 2 Total 512 onboard

Infineon

HYS64D32020GDL-6-C

PC2700

DDR 333

CL 2.5

New RAM:

512 X 2 Total 1 Gig

Crucial

CT6464X335.8TDY

What did I miss? Will try them in my machine to rule out bad ram.

M

My laptop runs at 266 but the BIOS sees each new stick!!! ?????

Edited by mikex

I had Crucial tell me after a scan, I could use PC2100, 2700 or 3200 RAM on a friends old PC. So she went with the PC3200 because it was the cheapest price (it wouldn't work), only to find out from the the PC maker that the mobo could only use PC2100 or 2700.

I think Crucial is slipping.

I had Crucial tell me after a scan, I could use PC2100, 2700 or 3200 RAM on a friends old PC. So she went with the PC3200 because it was the cheapest price (it wouldn't work), only to find out from the the PC maker that the mobo could only use PC2100 or 2700.

I think Crucial is slipping.

What make and model PC was it? I'm courious, as I have never had problems with Crucial.

I've had the same problem. Sony PCG-FR285M.

Ordered my 2 x 512mb ram from Crucial and received it last saturday 4th. The BIOS only reads 448mb even though I've now installed 1gb. And thats even if I do all sorts of combinations with the old sticks.

I think the problem is that they've sent me non-specific modules. When using the system scanner it told me I need part number CT526385. But I've received CT6464X335.8TDY. These do fit into my laptop but I think these can be used in most Sony Vaios, whereas the part I thought I was getting is specific to my laptop model only. Or maybe its a dud batch??

I've called Crucial. Tech support was closed at 6.30pm, even though the answer machine says its open until 7.30pm!

I've emailed and am now waiting for a reply. Will let you know how it goes.