I have had system restore running on a vista computer for well over an hour. I think it is not going to stop, but I am hesitant to stop it. It sounds as if the harddrive is working.

edit added//

I stopped it. It ran well over 2 hrs.

edit added//

The reason I tried system restore was my client said about three days ago his links for his messages in hotmail were not working. You would click on them and nothing would happen. I decided I was going to download and install firefox, just to see if it would work properly. This way I could kind of tell if this was a Vista problem or specifically an IE problem. I goto the firefox homepage, but cant find the "download now" link/button. I could not find a link to download it anywhere, I was going insane. For what ever reason IE was not displaying it. IE7 is seriously broken. I had a hunch Mcafee(it was acting buggy) may have been causing the problem. I uninstalled Mcafee and all is well. IE is now working perfectly. I will get the disks from him and reinstall Mcafee and see if it misbehaves again.

Edited by shanenin
I have had system restore running on a vista computer for well over an hour. I think it is not going to stop, but I am hesitant to stop it. It sounds as if the harddrive is working.

edit added//

I stopped it. It ran well over 2 hrs.

edit added//

The reason I tried system restore was my client said about three days ago his links for his messages in hotmail were not working. You would click on them and nothing would happen. I decided I was going to download and install firefox, just to see if it would work properly. This way I could kind of tell if this was a Vista problem or specifically an IE problem. I goto the firefox homepage, but cant find the "download now" link/button. I could not find a link to download it anywhere, I was going insane. For what ever reason IE was not displaying it. IE7 is seriously broken. I had a hunch Mcafee(it was acting buggy) may have been causing the problem. I uninstalled Mcafee and all is well. IE is now working perfectly. I will get the disks from him and reinstall Mcafee and see if it misbehaves again.

Very cool. So Mcafee was the culprit? Interesting indeed. Does FF work with Vista? I know jack about Vista so I enjoy learning about it:-)

McAfee was definitely the culprit. I never had a chance to try firefox, since it would not let me download it. I am curious to see if reinstalling McAfee will cause issues again.

Interesting:-) Thanks for the reply, shanenin! I know nothing about Vista; I have not used it yet.

I'm also curious to see if re-installing McAfeee causes issues.

Very cool stuff. :thumbsup:

I do have vista on my laptop, but hardly ever use it.

Cool. What kind of system specs (RAM, CPU) do you need for Vista to function adequately?

I've read that Vista is a pig if it is under-powered. :unsure:

I have a dual core amd x2 with 1gb of ram with Vista Premium. I personally think it is a little slow and boggy. I am not so certain extra ram would make it snappy.

Thanks for the reply shanenin:-) Good to know! :thumbsup:

Is the computer a 32 or 64 bit *insert proper term here*? I got curious and looked up Mcafee's site and it appears Mcafee only work on 32 bits with Vista. Also, I DO remember that the Mcafee packaging said Vista users needed to download some sort of patch for Vista machines.

A long time ago, Sidekickcat gave me this link to mcafee forums and because it's impossible to find on Mcafee's site, I saved it. You might want to cruise through there as I'm betting someone else has the same problem

Liz

It may have done that. I created a new restore point before trying to reload mcafee, which I am glad I did. The first install really screwed things up(kind of my fault). So I did a system restore, which worked perfectly and in just a minute or so.

Good one ! I now run Avast (free) as my virus checker plus Ad aware SE personal /spy bot and A2 squared,

I have vista home prem as my OS had no probs with theses programs.

Oh had Nortons as my virus checker till my pc's "date with death" with winfixer

Good one ! I now run Avast (free) as my virus checker plus Ad aware SE personal /spy bot and A2 squared,

I have vista home prem as my OS had no probs with theses programs.

Oh had Nortons as my virus checker till my pc's "date with death" with winfixer

Yep, I like Spybot it is good. Ad aware SE is a bit old now; I'm using Ad Aware 2007 (free version).

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/