XP Home, 512 ram, ??cpu??

I got a call from a friend, he has a Sony Viao Laptop. It will get hung in a reboot loop. It gets to the black screen to boot to safe mode, and what not. The only way it will load in to windows is to select Last known good config. I had him try safe mode, safe mode with networking and Normally. Each would get him looping. But it is not on every shut down or every reboot that this happens. I will pop up a blue error screen but not long enough to see the error, only maybe 2 seconds.

Any suggestion on where to look? I will be in Dallas tomorrow evening will be back home Wed evening. I will ask him to bring it by to check it out then, and to add his memory, will have a total of 1Gig when it leaves.

I will split the proceeds with anyone who wants a cold brew, LOL. Can only have 11 "helpers" though.

M

I see those all the time, a clean install will usually always fix it. You may want to try and test the memory and also run a harddrive diagnostic. I got one of those computers in front of me right now. The funny thing is it reloaded fine, but after updating it, I could only boot into a black screen. I am on my second reload, hopefully the first time was a fluke. I have a hunch, this computer will keep giving me problems.

edit added//

second reload seems to be working **crosses fingers**

Edited by shanenin

Howdy, Have him try in Safe Mode and go to Start/Run and type in msconfig. On the General tab, make sure that you do not see Diagnostic Startup checked. If it is, change it to Normal Startup and reboot.

Chuck

If it boots into Windows through Last known......, go to the Event Viewer and look for errors. Double click on each error and research it. It may be as simple as a corrupted driver or corruption within the file system. You may need to run SFC or chkdsk. I would definitely second the use of the hard drive's disk utility to rule out a bad HDD. Also find out if it has been overheated.