Yo guys whats up.

I got another question today :)

Okay, so my sister was complaining about her laptop being slow and crashes often.

So, I took a look at it and it was full of...like junk.

So, I just backed up her pics and docs and Reformatted.

So, now, I got a question.

What programs should I use to protect her laptop from.....spyware and other crap.

She's going to University soon (in florida) so I wont there to help her out.

Right now, I got.

-Nod32 as the Antivirus

-Installed and Updated Spyware Blaster

-Spyware Guard is constantly running & updated.

-Windows Firewall is on.

I also set Firefox as her Default Browser.

So, what else can I do to protect her laptop from other crap.

I also uninstalled all the junk that came with Recovery CD's (AOL, and other crap)

Maybe a real firewall? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Edited by Martint

I think I missed spyware guard. It does also provide real time protection,

As sethook pointed out, teach good habits. No spyware program can stop you from installing crap. On my home computer we are running with only avg anti-virus(we don't need it). I also have three kids running the computer, but they all have limited accounts. As far as i know, we have never had a spyware or virus problem. This is because we don't install anything we are not completely sure we trust.

I tell all my clients:

"only install programs from reputable companies, any thing else can cause problems"

"nothing is free" (open source is, but I tell them be weary of anything that they think it free, because it usually contains crap along with it)

Edited by shanenin

First of all, congrats to Sis for going to College!

Secondly, something I learned here :thumbsup: is that if she lives on campus, the campus might have an "extra firewall" in their internet service. That is something she could check out (but if she's like Daughter, she won't...) But if she does happen to inquire and the College does have an extra layer of protection, I'm bettin' Windows Firewall would be just fine, and if she surfs safely, Windows Firewall will be just fine, too. (did that make sense??)

You're probably good with all the gadgets you have, I LOVE Spywareblaster!!! but it probably wouldn't hurt to add Adaware and Spybot. One AV, one Firewall, lots of antispyware gadgets.

Liz

Edited by blim

Well, she's heading off in the next couple of days lol.

No time to teach her.

She ain't really that stupid...but, at the same time..she does make mistakes lol.

well, she's gonna get a condo so, I don't know if she's gonna have residential or the college internet.

bah...I might as well put in a firewall too i guess.

I agree with sethook and shanein on just making her aware of the potential risks out there. Especially when it comes to file-sharing and torrent sites. Password protecting her computer around a dorm full of people is also a must

Mark