Yesterday I was watching a movie on my laptop and everything was fine and it sounded great, towards the end i fell asleep. I woke up to my speakers making really high pitched hisses and pops. I thought nothing of it and turned off the speakers.

So i tried watching a movie again later and when the movie started the audio sounded like a huge industrial fan was being blown into the microphone when the sound was being recorded. I have no idea what the heck happend but i'm begging to believe it may be a hardware problem because the sound will crackle and pop when i boot up the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong and if it is fixable?

EDIT: Also when i try to adjust the volume on my laptop the sound doesn't change at all, even if i put it on mute it will be the same volume.

Edited by fubz

I would try and boot it with a linux cd like knoppix. If the sound is still bad you can assume it is a hardware issue. If knoppix gives clear sound, you can assume the problem lies within windows.

Event viewer has no errors related to sound at all - just the usual windows errors

and dxdiag finds no problems and the tests are worthless because of course i can hear the sound it tries to play the problem is it sounds like utter crap =P

Sounds like your audio drivers are screwed up,try deleting them then restart, XP should reinstall them.

Or download the latest drivers for your sound card (put on disk or CD) then delete the drivers and re-install manually without rebooting

If that does not work, do you have your XP install CD ?

is your volume control out of sync

open your volume control and see if you can pinpoint the problem in

in advance properties

marty

try opening your volume control in the tray

or try putting you install disk in the cdrom and press

r for repair

i think that is what white wolf is referring to

some times that helps

my opinion :your volume control is the problem

marty

What about trying an external pair of speakers or headphones? It could very possibly be a bad sound chip

Mark

The sound is still messed up coming out of them.

Have you tried to run a live linux cd? That is a two minute test which will easily determine if it is a software or a hardware problem.

Still working on getting a blank CD... ya i know... its sad in this day of age not to have an extra but i don't and my only linux CD refuses to boot up.

• 2 weeks later...