I Never Thought It'd Happen

I never thought that any computer of mine would ever be in a computer repair shop. My damn laptop took a $h!# on me today while I was workin on my car. I was in the garage wrenchin on the Civic with abingdon boys school blarin from my JBL speakers hooked up to my laptop. I was havin a grand ole time wrenchin and jammin to some good JRock. Well in the middle of one of my favorite songs, the music just frickin stops. Ok what the h311. I walk over to the laptop and well it was off. I try to turn it back on to no avail. Well, I know it's more than likely something to do with the power system in the thing after the battery. It was plugged in so I know the battery ain't dead. Well since I probably can't fix it, I put my car back together and go to the computer repair shop and leave it there. I need to at least get the stuff outta My Documents. I may not get it repaired since it was already fallin apart anyway. I may just scrounge up $200 or something and scour eBay until i find a replacement or if someone on TennSpeed has one I can get.

This sucks, I never thought that any computer I owned would ever have to be in a repair shop. It sucks that it's the laptop. I need that damn thing for class.

Sorry for the "language". I'm slightly PO'ed right now.

... I never thought that any computer I owned would ever have to be in a repair shop. ...

Wow, your youth sure is showing. You thought ... laptops live forever? You would or could repair one?

It does sound like a power circuit. Are you sure you weren't overdriving the sound circuits? Were those speakers designed for music players or an audio amp?

well, the dude that runs the shop is sorta kinda my friend. I've hung out there a lot and he's cut me deals on items there a few times so maybe he'll cut a me a deal on the laptop. If it is $80, I'll consider that cheap and take it cause even with as crappy as my laptop is, it's still better than most $200 laptops on ebay.

Oh and I what I meant was I thought I could always fix my own stuff. And the speakers were just JBL Platinums from my old Compaq desktop. The built in speakers are real weak on the laptop.

Edited by Honda_Boy

for one using the laptop means I use the houses power instead of draining my battery and I had the speakers unhooked while I was workin on it. I had the doors in pieces trying to straighten out a window and fix a lock. And no, I don't have a "system". Just Pinoneer Premier headunit with Pioneer Premier front speakers and regular Pioneer rear speakers and that's it. There is an amp in the car a previous owner put in there but it's long since been fried.

Any way. I ought to be good as long as I get the data off of it. I thought I had all my notes from class backed up on my main rig but apparently I deleted them after the last time I took the class thinkin I wasn't gonna need them. If I can just get my notes I can print them out and be good to go in class. I'm takin Principle of Microeconomics over again cause that D messed up my scholarship, that's why I already had the notes, and I got the D cause I didn't study them so I DEFINITELY need them ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my laptop was deemed unrepairable and they did all the stuff for free. It cost me $5 to get my notes off the hard drive though. Normally they charge $90 to recover all data but that's normally cause it's 80GB worth of crap. All I wanted was about 5-6MB of OpenOffice.org/Word documents so they only charged me for the CD.

Well, now I have a new laptop to replace it. I went from HP Pavilion with a Sempron 2800+, 512MB of RAM, a 40GB HDD, and XP Home SP2 to a Compaq Presario with a Celeron 440, 1.5GB of RAM, an 80GB HDD, and Vista Home Basic. All for $425. It was bought from a Best Buy 3 months ago and never registered. I Registered it and got a 1 year warranty with this one. Awesome. I didn't have a warranty with the last one cause I bought it on eBay. This one is like the last guy never owned it. he said he only used it for about 5 hours and decided he didn't want a laptop.

I'm thinkin seriously about removing Vista and using the XP license from my old laptop to install XP Home SP2 on this thing. I really don't like Vista. I was ecstatic when I went from 98 to XP and loved XP, but finally getting a Vista system, I hate it. It didn't come with a Vista disc though so i'm kinda wary about dropping it to XP. If it don't go right, I don't have a disc. Instead I have that stupid recovery partition and i don't know if those CD's I can burn can fully reinstall Vista if I remove it.

Oh well, I'll leave it alone for now. If Vista pisses me off enough, I'll remove it and try to put XP on it. I still like this laptop cause it's stouter and has a nicer screen. the screen has that coating that makes it clearer and look better. It looks glossy/glass like. it's shiny and I like the smoother touch pad. The pad on my old one was rough and felt weird. Also this new one has a widescreen. I'm not a huge fan of widescreen but I have a bunch of wide screen wallpapers I recently picked up and now I finally have a computer they can display on properly. my desktop has a 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect ratio) so they definitely don't fit it right.

Stick with Vista, you'll get used to it and it'll work out. It's only going to get better as it ages...remember how "Pathetic" XP was out of the gate?? XP never ally took pff until after SP1 and Vista will do the same, it's just some drivers that are a PITA for Vista right now really, I don't know why it's taking some places so long to get solid drivers made for Vista but that's the main issue right now.

It's just the learning curve that's got you ticked with Vista probably, it happened to us all, but the more I use Vista now the more I HATE Like it... :thumbsup: