Ackkk! Installing New Ram!

Ordered new Ram for Son's idiotbox and I've only opened his computer once to check for dust and quickly closed it back up as soon as I saw it was clean inside (I know, I know...I'm pathetic :rolleyes: )

I ordered it through Crucial because of their wonderful analysis tool and read through the installation directions. I learned to unplug the computer, touch metal so nothing gets shocked, unclip the old ram and attach the new ram while making sure to line up the notches and remembering that one has to push the new ram in hard. Supposably Windows will "automatically know the new ram is there" (hah!! We'll see!)

Soooo, is there anything else I should know? Is it really as easy as it sounds? (I know NOTHING is as easy as it sounds.....)

Thanks a bunch,

Liz

You have it down to a tee. If I didn't know any better..... I would think the way you explained yourself. That you're some kinda expert that your not letting any of us on to..... LOL

That sounds right on the money... Just don't push to hard. You'll know when the side tabs click into place that it's seated.

One small trick.... Well, maybe not. Take a pencil eraser and lightly rub the contacts on the Ran before putting it in. Sometimes they coat the contacts to keep them looking new. That can sometimes make a new stick not work just right. One or more contacts might have to much coating on it and not making a good connection.

Other then that... Your doing just fine :)

While your out make sure you get a hammer. just in case it does not want to go your way....

Just kidding.

You will be fine.

Tell your son how hard it was and hint about how much your car needs a wash and wax.......your the mom you can play the guilt card.

good luck.

Let us know how it went.

M

A hammer??? I wish! I'm great with a hammer! :D

Oh, don't worry about paybacks for Aron--he's going to do most of the work--I'm just doing the research so I can be bossy!! Besides, we all know about guys and reading directions...no offense! ;)

Darn it, Aron just washed the car last week and it hasn't rained since.....that's OK, I'll think of something else he can lug or fetch, I always do! After all, he *and his buddies* cheerfully work for food.

Liz

A hammer??? I wish! I'm great with a hammer! :D

Oh, don't worry about paybacks for Aron--he's going to do most of the work--I'm just doing the research so I can be bossy!! Besides, we all know about guys and reading directions...no offense! ;)

Darn it, Aron just washed the car last week and it hasn't rained since.....that's OK, I'll think of something else he can lug or fetch, I always do! After all, he *and his buddies* cheerfully work for food.

Liz

I used to use a hammer. Now I just get out the chain saw. :o

No worries Liz,

Sounds like you have it down pretty good. It's also fun to take it for its first spin around the block and feel like your on a rocket ship. Good luck.

Take care,

Pat

OK, Aron kicked me out of the area after I read him the directions on how to open the computer case (yup, he had it upside down....)

Now, he just started up the computer and before going to windows, there was a black screen with white lettering saying something along the lines of

"I noticed you installed memory. Click F1 to continue or press F2 for setup"

Assuming that "windows is intelligent enough to recognise new Ram, I had him press F1 to continue. Didn't expect that. Did I make the right choice?

(and yes, windows started)

Edit! Yup, it WORKED!!! The idiotbox has 1 Gigawatt of Ram! And Aron's geeked!!

Thank you all, and that was a whole lot easier than installing Windows 98 on a Gateway!!!! ;)

Liz

I just wanted to add...If you do decide to expand the RAM even more check if your motherboard has duel channel. So you would put a stick in the first skip the second and install it in the 3rd slot it would give you additional performance.

If you have XP it will probably be better to stick with 1 GB unless you find that you need more or if you are thinking of installing Vista...But if your going to go that far maybe a new comp would be better. Anyway I'm board so I thought I'd give my 2 cents. Bye

OK, Xcannon, you just completely confused me, but that's OK, you were bored :D...Crucial told me that 1024 gigawatts is the max that Aron's idiotbox can use....so he's "full" :thumbsup:

And thank you all for your encouragement--nope, didn't need the hammer or even the chainsaw! Yippie! Anyone wanna have new ram installed? It IS a cinch!

Liz