I've been keeping up on the next big thing from M$. Vienna or as it's now known as, "Windows 7". Or just plain "7"

So you think upgrading from 512 to 1 Gig or more ram is a big complaint for Vista........ The so far suggested amount of Ram for Windows 7 is..... get this....7 Gigs.

It's due out in November of 2010. Three years from now.

So start saving your money. Or think about a second mortgage on the house....LOL

I was reading about this too. It's called '7' right now because XP was windows version 5.xxx... Vista is 6.xxx... and so you can see where 7 comes from. As for 7 gigs of Ram, I hadn't heard that one. :blink: geez. And ya... we'll see if its out by 2010; wasn't Vista supposed to launch in 2004? :lol:

That's what the M$ developers are saying. But you know what they say and what ends up on the table in the end could be two different things.

But from what I came across, that's what the developers are suggesting as a norm for "7"

And sometime this week they are going to release SP1 Beta for Vista. But only to a very select few longtime Beta testers.

We still won't see one this year. Maybe in the first half of 2008. If they decide to release one at all. One day they say yes, the next they say maybe never......

That's what the M$ developers are saying. But you know what they say and what ends up on the table in the end could be two different things.

But from what I came across, that's what the developers are suggesting as a norm for "7"

And sometime this week they are going to release SP1 Beta for Vista. But only to a very select few longtime Beta testers.

We still won't see one this year. Maybe in the first half of 2008. If they decide to release one at all. One day they say yes, the next they say maybe never......

Exactly right, JSKY. I'd be curious to see what a service pack would bring to Vista. XP's SP1 and SP2 brought numerous changes to Windows XP. In my opinion XP SP2 is almost a completely different OS in terms of features and functionality then XP right out of the box with no service packs.

B

gee JS

you would be able to fly to the moon on that much ram

tho that looks like the way of the future

i have a disk sent to me

from sun micro

and to able to run it you need 750megs

tho the install disk is free

you have to pay for the extra ram

750megs

dosent sound much to you rich

users

or tech gurus

here in nz all compt come with 512megs

unless speified

as ive only got 512megs

i havent been able to try the disk yet

so this big ram thing

is becomming the thing of the future

marty

I wouldn't get to worried about it yet. Three years is still some time away. And as I said earlier. What they say now might not come close to the real thing in that amount of time..... But yet, as programs get bigger and require more power. one never knows.

Just think in another fifty or so years. With computers running 100 terabytes of Ram and a 500 Terabyte Processor. What the geeks will think about us when we remember the days of the gigabyte :mellow:

Of course, by then Ram will be made out of crystals, which are more efficient and can handle speeds that todays chips can't even compete with. And think of the storage capacity of Crystal Hard Drives.

And.... If you want to keep your virtual gardens, planets and other get-aways running proper..... You'll have to do the upgrades...... Cause if it crashes, your back to your old room in the house... And then you'll have to put up with your spouse complaining. :rolleyes::lol:

Good Lord.....the more I hear about these new fangled operating systems, the more I like XP!! Gives my tower a pat on the head and pray it keeps working...

Liz

]hi liz looks like xp is my best bet

this ram thing

is getting out of reach of the desktop user

as ime not familiar with sun micro

ile stick to xp

besides that is the end of my limitations

marty