I currently have 2 computers which both connect to the internet through a wireless router. I'm trying to set up a network to share files back and forth between them. Ideally I'd like to have d:media on my desktop show up as a network drive on my laptop (z: or whatever) and have no idea where to start.

Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer).

Navigate to the file, folder or drive folder to be shared, and click once on its icon to select it.

From either the File menu or the right-click menu, choose the "Sharing and Security..." option. A new Properties window appears. If this option did not appear on the menu, ensure that a valid file or folder was selected in the previous step.

Click the Network tab in the Properties window. If no Network tab appears in the window, but a Sharing tab appears instead, close this window and ensure the Simple File Sharing option was enabled in the earlier step before proceeding.

Click the Share This Folder option in the Properties window to enable sharing of this resource. This allows all other computers on the local network to access file(s) but not modify them. To grant others permission to modify these files, click the "Allow Network Users to Change My Files" checkbox to enable this option.

Alternatively, if the Network tab is not enabled, make required settings in the Sharing tab to configure the equivalent sharing. Choose "Share this folder" to enable sharing.

Click Apply or OK to save these settings.

Once you have the folder shared, you can (on the other PC) go to start->run and type \\PC.IP.HERE (where PC.IP.HERE is the IP of the PC sharing the files)

You can map the dir to a drive like so...

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer from the Windows Start Menu.

From the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive…. A new Map Network Drive window opens.

In the Map Network Drive window, choose an available drive letter from the dropdown list located next to the "Drive:" option. Any drives already mapped will have a shared folder name displayed inside the dropdown list, next to the drive letter.

Type the name of the folder to map. This name must follow UNC. Alternatively, click the Browse… button to find the correct folder by browsing available network shares.

Btw, "Type the name of the folder to map" means something like \\PC.IP.HERE\mysharedstuff

Phil

Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer).

Navigate to the file, folder or drive folder to be shared, and click once on its icon to select it.

From either the File menu or the right-click menu, choose the "Sharing and Security..." option. A new Properties window appears. If this option did not appear on the menu, ensure that a valid file or folder was selected in the previous step.

Click the Network tab in the Properties window. If no Network tab appears in the window, but a Sharing tab appears instead, close this window and ensure the Simple File Sharing option was enabled in the earlier step before proceeding.

Click the Share This Folder option in the Properties window to enable sharing of this resource. This allows all other computers on the local network to access file(s) but not modify them. To grant others permission to modify these files, click the "Allow Network Users to Change My Files" checkbox to enable this option.

Alternatively, if the Network tab is not enabled, make required settings in the Sharing tab to configure the equivalent sharing. Choose "Share this folder" to enable sharing.

Click Apply or OK to save these settings.

Once you have the folder shared, you can (on the other PC) go to start->run and type \\PC.IP.HERE (where PC.IP.HERE is the IP of the PC sharing the files)

You can map the dir to a drive like so...

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer from the Windows Start Menu.

From the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive…. A new Map Network Drive window opens.

In the Map Network Drive window, choose an available drive letter from the dropdown list located next to the "Drive:" option. Any drives already mapped will have a shared folder name displayed inside the dropdown list, next to the drive letter.

Type the name of the folder to map. This name must follow UNC. Alternatively, click the Browse… button to find the correct folder by browsing available network shares.

Btw, "Type the name of the folder to map" means something like \\PC.IP.HERE\mysharedstuff

Phil

Awesome, thank you so much. That's exactly what I was looking for and it works great.

-Jordan

sometimes ip addresses can change. You can also use machine name in its place

\\machine_name\mysharedstuff

Windows netbios is a complete waste of space. It rarely works how you want it to. IP addresses won't change if they are statically assigned.

Phil