XP Home. I'm having an issue with at least one of the User Accounts on my PC where it simply won't log off. Going from Start > Log Off does absolutely nothing. What I end up doing is logging that account out, then logging into mine (which has admin rights) and logging that user off via the Task Manager. This seems to only be affecting this one user account (however I haven't checked all the others). Any ideas on what could be preventing the log off? My only thought was there there was some process running that was holding requiring the user to log in. At a quick glance, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (however I may look more into that). Thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

Very strange.

I went into my sister's user account, and starting killing processes until I was down to the ones that I didn't have permission to end. By then it was the system processes, kerio, and portions of avast. Still wouldn't log off. This morning, my account wouldn't log off or shut down--I had to pull the plug. So, I figured either something was screwed up with one of the system processes, or it was kerio or avast. I decided to shut down Avast's On-Access Protection, and then re-enable it. After that, the problem seemed fixed.

rv56: You told me that you were having a similar issue, and that you also have avast. Try what I did and see if it works.

edit: Scratch that. It's back to not working again.

Matt

No, nothing at all happens. however, while messing around with it today, I was given an alert that kpf4gui.exe could not be stopped (while I was trying to log off). That would be Kerio. I'm going to disable Kerio and see what happens. I see that there are 2 kpf4gui.exes running in Task Manager right now...

So, shutting off, the turning back on Kerio seemed to have fixed the issue. That just doesn't make sense to me; perhaps one of you can fill me in. If it just needed to be turned off, then back on, in essence ending then starting back up kpf4gui.exe, then why was this not fixed with a reboot? Wouldn't turning off the computer, then turning it back on start a "fresh" kpf4gui.exe?

Edit: Never mind again. After giving it a few minutes (with kerio re-enabled), I still cannot log off -_-

Matt....yes I'm having the same problem if I click Start then Log Off. But there are times where I can successfully log off. It seems to be random. I have killed Avast and have tried shutting down others but still the same results. I have Comodo firewall now and I had Sygate before and was having log off issues then also.

As I mentioned in my PM Matt.....my system seems fine other than this. CPU's are good....processes are all normal and all are accounted for no applications running. As you also know all scans with all my scanners turn up nothing.

I just can't pin point as to when or how this started to happen but its been awhile.

TT....I have read up on and tried UPHClean with no success. What happens is when I log off like Matt is trying....just nothing happens at all. You just end up looking at your desktop as if you did nothing at all.

Then sometimes it seems like it is trying to log off....then nothing happens...or I do get to log off out of my account. I have had to use Task Manager to log off account or I have recently added a log off short cut to my desktop that works all the time. Once I get to log off my account...shutting down and booting up is normal...no issues at all.

I've been at a lose with this for awhile....and can't seem to find info with the exact symptoms until Matt posted. Some info was close but yet not the same.

One more thing....if I have a Windows update that requires a reboot and click on the prompt to reboot for the update to take affect....nothing happens. I have to click on my desktop Log Off short cut then when I get to shut down or restart Window to reboot....and yes sometimes its successful.

Maybe three times out of ten Log Off from the account will work.

Yes, now looking at things, the Log Off issue seems to be random. I currently can't get my account to log off, but my sister just told me hers logged off fine (with the exception of the kpf4gui.exe notice she got). The fact that you aren't using Kerio, rather you have Comodo is also a bit strange. :wacko: I'll keep messing with it..

Edit: In case anyone was wondering, if I suspend kpf4gui.exe log off works.

Thats just it Matt.....it seems to be a random thing. If I started up the computer cold and Log Off my account all is well. I usually leave my computer on all the time. I was thinking maybe it was a heat issue(I know I maybe grasping here) but after this long and trying things along with searching for info. (as best as I can that is) I found out that this was not the case. I also opened up my case and cleaned all dust and fans just to be sure.

My firewall (software and hardware) show no signs of activity when my system is sitting idle. When I check Task Manager with just desktop my computer shows 95 - 97% idle and all processes are idle "00".

The only thing I could find was problems with log off was at the Saving Your Settings window or possible log off Windows music file being corrupted or something like that...I think that was what it was...it's been so long now. Thats not the issue either, as I have no problems there.

Yes it is a bit strange as there seems to be no other issues or lagging or glitches....just this weird random can't Log Off account. If I may add...this happens on my Admin. account and my Limited account.

(heh, well I didn't realize they named the computer COMPBETA :lol: )

Anyway..... Event viewer shows the following:

The attempt to power off COMPUBETA failed

The attempt to shutdown COMPUBETA failed

The attempt to unknown COMPUBETA failed

My guess is that the 'unknown' in log off, because it has multiple Warnings of that at the times that I was trying to log off.

Heres everything I get:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: USER32

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1073

Date: 6/6/2007

Time: 11:16:44 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: COMPUBETA

Description:

The attempt to power off COMPUBETA failed

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

If I look at what info would be sent to Microsoft, it also says File name: user32.dll

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...R32&phase=1

Everything I have found about this problem deals with a program not shutting down, hardware/driver issue, standy/hibernation and possibly Fast User Switching.

Have you checked other active scanning anti-malware apps such as TeaTimer, AdWatch and etc.?

Take a whack at reinstalling Kerio (actually go ahead and redownload it cause it's no longer Kerio I think. It's just Sunbelt Personal Firewall now. same thing though, cause it's still kpf4gui.exe in the task manager). While you are at it, take shot at reinstalling Avast.