What Are You Listening To Right Now?

I love Blondie . I used to have a crush on Debbie Harry. Years later I saw her, sans makeup, and thought, "What was I thinking?" But then, we're around the same age so ... I don't have a leg to stand on there (same thing happened with Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders ). :(

Back to Systematic Chaos , on continuous play.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what is the absolute best Dream Theater songs? You guys listen to them all the time I tried to listen to them a long while ago and though they sounded like a cross between Rush and Megadeath. So I want to know what I'm missing.

Just wanted to add that I have nothing against Rush or Megadeath. I was a Rush fan 20 something years ago, still have my 2112 concert T and have always liked Dave Mustaine.

After people telling me, "Dream Theater! Dream Theater! Dream Theater!" for the longest time I only recently heard 'em, and bought their latest, Systematic Chaos. So, not knowing their previous work this is a short comment.

Yeah, they're "like" ... well, everybody else (if you ask me). But to me, it's like taking all the best bands I love, and loved, and having one album of all their music combined into something new and fresh (so ... what has Emerson, Lake & Palmer done lately?). I hear a riff and think, "Whoa! Rush!" or "Whoa! ELP!" and it just keeps surprising me.

THAT's it, it keeps surprising me. What other group's done that for you lately?

------

The blues again for me today.

The arguably best Dream Theater album is Images and Words. The song "Pull me Under" is one of their greatest and still one of my top favorite songs. Also songs such as Take the Time, Metropolis Pt.1: The Miracle and The Sleeper, Under a Glass Moon, and Learning to Live are also spectacular songs.

Metropolis Pt.1 is just one song and a great one but Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory is a whole album that is really good. It's basically a guy who gets hypnotized into seeing the past and discovering the mysteries behind a tragic love driven murder. When not hypnotized he even investigates the case from the present. I really like it but my brother for some reason didn't. I love the songs Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, and some others that names escape me.

Octavarium was the their latest before Systematic Chaos and it's really good too. I love the songs The Root of All Evil, These Walls, I Walk Beside You, Panic Attack, and Never Enough. All the songs on the album are great but these are just my favorites.

Finally the last one I have is Systematic Chaos. I love the whole album but the first 4 songs are my favorites: In the Presence of Enemies Pt.1, Forsaken, Constant Motion, and The Dark Eternal Night.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I just downloaded Pull Me Under, These Walls and The Root of All Evil from itunes. Listening to These Walls right now definitely hearing some ELP musical influence and a Iron Maiden writing style. The drums are very powerful and I like the guitar not a million meaningless notes stuffed into 15 seconds. Don't like the string section though.

Pull Me Under has some Rush and Ronnie James Dio influences with some Yngwie like guitar lead. I can see why any classic rock / metalhead would like this.

Dream Theater , Systematic Chaos (on continuous play -- again).

Oh God, help me ...

BTW, my source for CDs has all their albums now (that didn't take long after they began stocking Systematic Chaos ), so Octavarium is on its way, with the others to follow as funds permit.

------

Oh yeah, paid $2.79 S&H and got the CD of Octavarium for free!

Edited by JDoors

Octavarium !

It came in the mail yesterday, along with the following:

The Chemical Brothers , We Are The Night

And, for the holidays:

B.B. King , A Christmas Celebration Of Hope

Octavarium is excellent, though I'm gonna have to say I prefer Systematic Chaos , so far. Interesting that Octavarium adds another influential sound, Styx , yet another of my favorite bands of all time. The Chemical Brothers , so far (I'm in the middle of it at the moment), is exactly what I expected, and I expected to enjoy it immensely. Don't know if I'l get around to the Christmas album but ... It's B.B. King. 'Nuff said.

Itou Kanako - Kimi to Yozora to Sakamichi to (ED theme to the anime my new avatar is from)

then maybe

ELISA - euphoric field

and then maybe

Buono! - Honto no Jibun

Edited by Honda_Boy

switched to Octavarium :thumbsup:

Probably Systematic Chaos up next then maybe Images and Words if I'm still working. If I'm gonna be burnin the midnight oil then I suspect either Queensryche, Dragonforce, or more J music later on.

*Finished my work and listened to all of Octavarium, Systematic Chaos (every last second of it) and some J music. Finished my all nighter (I hate college so much) so time for bed.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Just listened to some acoustic versions of Fully Alive and All Around Me by Flyleaf, I like it better then the original.

Listening to Where Have You Been by Manchester Orchestra. Next some Decemberist then maybe some Korn.

GTR (self titled).

Oh yeah, Steve Howe and Steve Hackett (gotta check YouTube, see if there's anything there from them ... ).

------

Hmm, lookin' very 80's retro.

When the Heart Rules The Mind :

The Hunter :

Hackett To Bits (gee-tar solo):

Edited by JDoors