We all have herd of podzilla (ipod linux), but many are not aware that there is another OS for not only ipods but many other players as well.

Why use another OS many may ask. Well the reason is simple or should I say reasons.

For my ipod for example I can play my mp3s (or just about any other non drmed audio file formate on the planet need I say flac, or ogg).

I do not need itunes and can simply drop or copy the files I want to my ipod from either linux or windows explorer.

I can also boot into the apple OS if I prefeer to sync with itunes for podcasts I subscribe to.

I can also easily remove rockbox and in no way will rockbox ruin my ipod.

Lastly and just as important, rockbox is very customizable with themes galore and backgrounds and fonts of your choice, and config files you can edit to your liking.

To install rock box, down load a current build for your device, unzip it to your device, open the rockbox manual and in the section for installing the bootloader in the OS of your choice click on the link and follow the instructions.

You may find the default fonts difficult to read as they are generic in size to work on a variety of players, so I advise you download the font packages and simply unzip it to your player as you did for rockpox, everything will go where it is supposed to. Also go for a theme or two and install in the same manner.

Rockbox

georgeous themes (remember you can edit them further to your liking)

The pics are the back grounds I use in one of my favorite themes.

Note my instructions are as per my ipod 60 gb video, and there may be differences for other players. :matrix:

painel.bmp

back.bmp

Edited by betamaxman
  • 1 month later...
We all have herd of podzilla (ipod linux), but many are not aware that there is another OS for not only ipods but many other players as well.

Why use another OS many may ask. Well the reason is simple or should I say reasons.

For my ipod for example I can play my mp3s (or just about any other non drmed audio file formate on the planet need I say flac, or ogg).

I do not need itunes and can simply drop or copy the files I want to my ipod from either linux or windows explorer.

I can also boot into the apple OS if I prefeer to sync with itunes for podcasts I subscribe to.

I can also easily remove rockbox and in no way will rockbox ruin my ipod.

Lastly and just as important, rockbox is very customizable with themes galore and backgrounds and fonts of your choice, and config files you can edit to your liking.

To install rock box, down load a current build for your device, unzip it to your device, open the rockbox manual and in the section for installing the bootloader in the OS of your choice click on the link and follow the instructions.

You may find the default fonts difficult to read as they are generic in size to work on a variety of players, so I advise you download the font packages and simply unzip it to your player as you did for rockpox, everything will go where it is supposed to. Also go for a theme or two and install in the same manner.

Rockbox

georgeous themes (remember you can edit them further to your liking)

The pics are the back grounds I use in one of my favorite themes.

Note my instructions are as per my ipod 60 gb video, and there may be differences for other players. :matrix:

Thanks. I'm going to try it on my Photo 60.